Data recovery?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Shirley88, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Shirley88 macrumors newbie

:(I accidentally lost my photos on my Mac hard drive. Anyone who knows some good data recovery software? Free is better. Thx!:) Paid is also ok, if it works.

2. simsaladimbamba

To retrieve files, that have been deleted and also been emptied from the Trash, you can use
    Data Rescue 3 (trial lets you scan the HDD and see, if data is recoverable, but to actually recover files, you need to buy the full version for 99 USD) or
    FileSalvage (trial lets you scan the HDD and see, if data is recoverable, but to actually recover files, you need to buy the full version for 89.95 USD).

Also know, that you should immediately stop any writing processes to the actual HDD. If it is the same HDD as the one your operating system (OS) resides on, it is better to use an external HDD with Mac OS X on to boot from and install Data Rescue or FileSalvage onto to scan the HDD from which the data has been accidentally deleted.

3. Dnix macrumors 6502

Photorec dude, it's the best. It comes bundled with Testdisk but I wouldn't bother with TD (most of the time).

PR sweeps sectors from start to finish, and will even fix corrupted files along the way if it can. By default it searches for almost every file extension you can think of. It's not only for photos. I usually just leave it to "all".

It is completely free, but it's a Terminal app. Trust me though, there is nothing hard about using it. It's just navigating through menus, and they have an FAQ on their site.

If you need any help just PM me. :)

4. simsaladimbamba

Viruses? Yeah, that is the number one source for every error in Mac OS X. You finally hit the coffin on the nail.
    Btw, you are a SPAMMER, aren't you?

5. Parkin Pig macrumors 6502a

Parkin Pig

Beautiful timing - I foolishly erased the directory block on an external drive last night (I was intending to initialise a new disk, but picked the wrong one - doh!)

I'd never heard of Photorec before... until I saw your post.

I'm happy to say it's now chugging along and recovering my data.

Thanks for the tip!

6. Edie Brickell macrumors member

Your need is just of a photo recovery software so why your are spending more bucks on a data recovery software. If you want to recover other data as well then opt a data recovery software otherwise photo recovery software will do the fulfill. Try any good photo recovery software like TestDisk, PhotoRec, Stellar Phoenix Photo recovery, doctor photo recovery, etc.
    Good Luck!!