Data Recovery

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by demzrollin, Jun 17, 2013.

1. demzrollin macrumors newbie

Hello All:

I accidentally formatted my macbook's internal hard drive about two years ago. I've tried a lot of the recovery software out there and have managed to recover MOST of my lost files. Since the accidental format, the hard drive itself died; however, I was able to do a sector-by-sector backup to a .dmg file.

The only file that I have had no success recovering is an encrypted .dmg file, which contains several other files. My question is, does anybody out there know of any data recovery options that could possibly detect an encrypted .dmg? All of the options that I have tried don't even list it as a supported format.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You'll have to send it you for a drive recovery service where that service can pull the data off the platters. It can be an expensive proposition depending on how hard they have to work to pull the data.

I also have no experience with any of them so I can't recommend on service over another.

~Mike

3. Judith123 macrumors member

I also had no experience about that, but I suggest you can search in Google. That may be helpful. Good luck!;)

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'd think long and hard about the data recovery folks....the good ones charge a fortune, and total success is not ever guaranteed. If you really need that file, then expect to pay at least $3000.00 for the service, which as I say still won't guarantee full recovery.