Data Rescue 3 - Screenshot recovery

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BenLinus, Nov 17, 2010.

1. BenLinus macrumors newbie

Hey,
    My colleague had a report of monthly profits for July and he showed it to me via screen share and I wanted to read it more in depth so I took a screen shot of it. It was on my desktop for probably about an hour and then moved to my trash to probably a month before being emptied. Turns out our boss needs the July report for some reason. He has since sold the laptop he was working on and bought a new mac. He didn't think he had any need for the report, so he didn't back the file up. I had Data Rescue from back when my wife lost her hard drive, so I tried to use it for this.

I have done a quick scan and recovered many familiar looking files from that time period (August/September 2010). I looked in both my trash and desktop folders and found nothing. I looked through a ton of other folders too. That was the only screen shot I have ever taken, is there any chance the screen shot file acts differently then other files? It may sound strange, but I feel like mostly everything is there besides that file. The only thing I can think of is because it was a screenshot. My other question is when you take a screenshot, is the file put anywhere else besides on your desktop? Possibly in some other folder of some sort?

I am trying a deep scan overnight which should take about 6 hours and hopefully will find it, but I don't have much hope since I haven't found it yet with the quick scan.

Is the deleted files scan worth it? I would guess a deep scan is probably better anyway. I have emptied my trash probably once or twice since then.

Thanks a lot

Paul (My name isn't Ben Linus, just a fan of the show. Haha.)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you emptied the Trash back in August or September it's almost certainly gone by now. Screen shots are just like any other file and aren't stored any where else besides the folder you have set up for screen shots to go to when they are originally taken.

3. lkirkup macrumors newbie

lkirkup

If only you had used Time Machine.....
    I cant say it enough. With external USB HDD's being so cheap there is no excuse not to be using it.
    It would have taken less than a minute to recover you screen shot.

4. trance2, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010

trance2 macrumors member

Opps: I am sorry I misread where your colleague got a new computer.

Have your colleague send you over the July report... problem solved.