Data Rescue 3 seems to be finding lost data but doesn't recover it.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by biohazard82, Nov 1, 2010.

1. biohazard82 macrumors newbie

Need some help here. My friend is a DJ and had an external drive with tens of thousands of songs on it. The plug broke on it and I think that corrupted it since Eject was not used. I pulled the 3.5in HDD out of the case and hooked up up with some other external plugs I have. When I run Data Rescue 3 on it, it shows that it sees almost all of these and the only two formats it counts up are mpeg and mp3s. Data Rescue then finishes the scan and has a bunch of crap files that are not needed, but none of the songs show up. What is going on here? Did I miss something in Data Rescue 3. The drive is a 1TB drive and the backup drive we are using is 640GB, but there was only about 250GB of music on the drive to begin with.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

what type of recovery are you doing? you should pick the most specific one you can find. also, what format is the drive?

3. biohazard82 thread starter macrumors newbie

it can't tell what format the drive is, I can only assume that it is Fat since it is an external but I could be wrong. I am doing a deep scan.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

deep scan is the best - let that go through. the data should be fine.

5. Eastend macrumors 6502

Here is a trick I performed with Data Rescue 3. I used a Mac Pro to fix a friends iMac hard drive. I put my friends hard drive in the Mac Pro and it was not recognized so I then ran Data Rescue 3 in Deep scan mode as was suggested. At the same time I opened Carbon Copy cloner and while data rescue 3 held the drive open Carbon Copy Cloner cloned the drive to another empty drive I had in the Mac Pro and it was intact, then of course I closed Data Rescue 3. Multi Tasking, of course not all drives can be saved.

6. gmia macrumors newbie

Data rescue 3 didn't help me

I ran every scan and had no success. Lesson learned! Don't delete your trash unless your absolutely sure!

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"When I run Data Rescue 3 on it, it shows that it sees almost all of these and the only two formats it counts up are mpeg and mp3s. Data Rescue then finishes the scan and has a bunch of crap files that are not needed, but none of the songs show up. What is going on here? Did I miss something in Data Rescue 3. The drive is a 1TB drive and the backup drive we are using is 640GB, but there was only about 250GB of music on the drive to begin with."

Do the "crap files" have names like, "M382893", etc.?

My suggestion:
    After DR3 does its thing, and you see all these files, SAVE THEM to your scratch disk.

Then, open iTunes.

Next, drag a bunch of the "crap files" (don't try it with all of them, just a few at first) over iTunes and "drop them into it".

What happens?

You may find that these files suddenly become mp3 files, and may even show up with the proper naming information in their "metadata". (To check this, select an individual file, then type "command-i" to get info on it.

There is the possibility that DR3 -- in the process of scavenging and recovery -- was not able to recover the fileNAMES along with the rest of the actual data within the files, and thus assigned them random, temporary names that pretty much look like "junk numbers".

Remember that with munged partitions the directory info (including folder locations and file names) was probably unreadable to DR. The magic of DR is that it can completely "ignore" directory information and look directly to the sectors of the drive itself, and then "scavenge" raw data from it.

I experienced a similar "recovery" of a damaged partition using DR. Some of the recovered files had their names intact. But others "came back" as simply "numbered files". When I dropped them all into a "clean" iTunes (no previous iTunes library existing), both the named and un-named files show up!