Data Rescue 3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lPHONE, May 21, 2010.

1. lPHONE macrumors 6502a

lPHONE

I'm using Data Rescue III on a USB powered hard drive with and it's taking a very long time with my iMac G5... It says 42,291 hours remaining (about 5 years) If I did it on my Mac Pro would it go faster, or is the recovery speed based on the hard drive speed?

2. Fa7mac macrumors regular

Fa7mac

Oooh 5 years really
    I've used Data Rescue III, in fact I own it my life, to recover a 100GB of files from my (unwanted) erased External harddrive with USB conection to my 4gb, 3.06ghz iMac and it took 3 days to recovery 60GB of files till I cancelled it cause I've recovered what I needed.
    well it depends more on the amount of file you are recoverying and then your HDD speed conection ( FireWire is faster). I don't know if the computer specs is that important though.
    It can take along time but 5 years???? Your computer would be dead by then

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

One method of approach that might work faster is to "limit" the types of files that DR3 is attempting to scavenge and recover.

For example, I had a partition on an external hard drive go bad on me -- simply wouldn't mount, no matter what I tried. The other partitions weren't important, but this one was -- it contained all my stored mp3 files, and I didn't have a backup for many of them.

My solution was to completely re-initialize the drive and then "attack it" with DR. Since I couldn't get the damaged partition to mount on its own, the only way to get the drive "visible" to DR was to re-initialize it. Yes, this destroys the existing partitions, but remember -- partitions are a creature of the drive directory and re-initializing in and of itself doesn't "touch" the data that is lying on the drive's sectors, even if you don't have a good partition to "show the pathways" to that data.

Once re-initialized, I was able to mount the [now, apparently empty] drive in the Finder, then go after it with DR.

I set up DR to look for only mp3 files, and turned it loose.

It did take me three tries, but on the third time I got the majority of the mp3 files back (although all folder hierarchies were lost). But it worked.

I believe by limiting what you're looking for, DR may be able to complete its work in less time. Might be worth a try.

4. fluffyx macrumors 6502

This has nothing to do with the speed of your computer, or the fact that it's a USB drive. That hard drive is failing.

Why are you running Data Rescue—were there some accidentally deleted files?

Stop running Data Rescue; the only thing that may come of running it is further damage to the drive. If at all possible, copy any important files off the drive ASAP.

5. lPHONE thread starter macrumors 6502a

lPHONE

For whatever ungodly reasoning; I took the hard drive out of the enclosure (expecting a SATA connector) so I could put in my Oxford ordained FireWire drive, only to find the drive has the USB port SOLDERED on to the PCB! That's the Worst Design EVER! Thanks to these bastards, I'm stuck with USB :mad: