Data Rescue 3

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Blockshocker, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Blockshocker macrumors newbie

My MacPro crashed, I've got a lot of files on there that I wanted to retrieve. I'm using Data Rescue 3 & its got to 97.44% complete, but it has been stuck on 97.44% for over 10 hours, is this normal?

Thanks

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I've only got experience with DR2, not 3, but while it can take quite a while I've never had it take more than 2-3 hours for a reasonable sized disk. I also don't remember the progress indicator stalling at any point, although it might have.

Can you hear whether the drive is actually making noise or not? If you can hear it seeking at all, that might indicate that it's doing something (I assume you're booted from a DR disc, so there's no way to open Activity Monitor and check). If the system fans are cranked up to the point they indicate the processor is under heavy load, it could also be working at a processing stage that fails to update the progress bar.

Alternately it could, of course, just be stuck. You'd hate to have it take 12 hours and cancel after 10 because you thought so, though...

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I once had a HDD crash and believe it or not, the scan took a week or so. I think it was either a small 27GB HDD, or a bigger HDD (around 148 to 232GB).

It was worth it in the end, and I could restore a lot of data, but often it seemed like the application was hanging.

4. Blockshocker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replys, its up to 47 hours this morning, but I think I will leave it scanning, like you say it would be a shame to waste my time to find out that it just needed a little while longer.

5. jon200581 macrumors newbie

Blockshocker, Did your scan complete? I am using Data Rescue 3 and my progress bar has also paused on 74.36% for the last 5 hours. :confused:
    It is a large drive 750GB but still have HDD noises and the program doesn't seem to be hanging.
    Please reply ASAP!!

Thanks in advance.

6. davisjw macrumors regular

davisjw

I'm using Data Rescue 3 as well and mine has essentially stopped at only 1.XX% but other times it has reach 33% at which point it freezes at "Prescanning "Apple UDIF read-only compressed (zlib) Media". Left it over night (6 hours +) but nothing, and the HD has stopped making noises. It worked once before in the trial but when I got the full version, nothing. Their support team is terrible at helping. Do I simply need to wait it out?

Any tips as to why this is happening/ways to fix it? I'm trying to retrieve deleted files off an iBook (from 2005) by using my iMac, through a firewire, as my backup HD.

Thanks!

Also: Does it matter if I choose the AAPL (External FireWire) Content Apple Partitions or the Macintosh HD HFS+ as my source?