Data Rescue II: recovering a formatted hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lunarsonata, Dec 5, 2008.

1. lunarsonata macrumors newbie

Hi,

Data Rescue II was recommended to me recently to retrieve erased files from an external 1TB hard drive, where the files were accidentally erased whilst initializing another (now discovered as a faulty) external hard drive. I was led to believe by the sales person that the lost data could be recovered completely with no change, but now since using the software it seems this is not the case. As recommended, I scanned the drive using the scan specifically for deleted files, proceeded with the recovery (happy to see it had recovered all of the expected files, plus more) but then discovered that none of the files had their original file name (everything is now renamed with numbers relating to the file, and the file type). I have tried calling ProSoft several times now during their opening hours, and sent several emails to enquire further about the recovery process, but never receive an answer.

It would be great if anyone here has had a similar/same problem or knows if there is a way of retrieving the lost files with original file names intact. I fear that this software has left me with no choice but to open each file and rename individually, which is sure to be an epic task for the amount of files that were on the drive!

Thanks

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I have used Data Rescue II before and had similar results. I guess it how the software does it. Sorry that isn't much help.

You could try testdisk or Photorec, I have found these to be a better solution when trying to recover lost stuff.

3. lunarsonata thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions. Have you found that these recover deleted files with their original file names then?

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

The reason you don't have the filenames is because Data Rescue is ignoring or unable to read the directory. If it was simply ignoring it because it went into it's hardcore recovery mode, you may have more success with one of those programs or with DiskWarrior (my favorite). If it's too damaged to read and the drive had to be scavenged for data, you won't get those back. If you have the time and money to try, I'd recommend DiskWarrior (nothing against those other two recommended, but I've never tried them) and see if you get better results.

jW

5. lunarsonata thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I'll investigate it a bit further. I managed to get through to Prosoft at last; they told me that once files have been deleted their file names are gone forever, and so it's impossible to recover the files with their original file names (and therefore the reason the software generates it's own files names in the recovery process).

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I am certainly a huge fan of DW as well and it has pulled my bacon out of the fire on several occasions, but I really don't think even it could help here! :( The reason I say this is that DW specializes in reconstructing a brand new disk directory on a disk whose directory has gotten corrupted. Unfortunately in this case the drive was erased, so I believe that from DW's point of view there is no valid data nor directory on the disk to be rebuilt.

I am planning to test that hypothesis later this afternoon with a spare disk though, that being said. It is an interesting question! ;)

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I have tried several tools for this and as I suggested above testdisk seems to me to be the best, and it's free :)

Iirc it did bring back the file name but can't say for certain.

When you do can you try out testdisk as it is designed for this type of thing and I am interested in how well it does against dw.

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Ah, missed that little detail. You're exactly right, DiskWarrior likely wouldn't have found anything at all.

jW

9. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Thanks for reminding me! I just did the verification of what we both suspected- and DW did rebuild the new blank directory that was put on the disk when it was erased (with no changes) but that is all. No help in recovering files though- but good to know for future reference.