Data Rescue II Urgent question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by polomolo, Nov 2, 2007.

1. polomolo macrumors newbie

Hi, unfortunately i experienced the pain of losing data, and at the moment I'm using Data rescue II to recover my External HD (80gb) the thing is its scanning for a while now, and I know its supposed to take long hours... but anyway...while it says its reading the blocks and its giving me numbers of the blocks.. then on the main window of DataRescue II on the bottom center theres also a message saying "error reading (block number)" and the block numbers change with the process block numbers... when I check the log/report for data rescue in a text file I get this long list - that keeps updating - of errors such as these
    -1: Error reading block 2046.
    -1: Error reading block 2558.
    -1: Error reading block 3070.
    -1: Error reading block 3582.
    -1: Error reading block 4094.
    -1: Error reading block 4606.

now don't tell me that this means that its not doing anything! since its having errors reading it the whole time.

Please if you've used it b4 and experienced this, let me know.
    Thanks

2. vchap macrumors newbie

Data Rescue question

Hi,

I'm thinking about purchasing the Data Rescue II and I have the same question you posted. I did the Demo version and it showed the errors. Did it recover those or were those errors lost??

thanks for your help.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

This means your hard drive is %*%#ed

DataRescue cannot recover what physically cannot be read from the drive.

If the blocks are not contiguous -- that is, not every block in order is erroring out-- then let it run 12 - 24 hours or more, in hopes that it can recover the data in the good blocks between the bad ones.

4. vchap macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. I did let it run and it appears to have found most of my data based on the files types and sizes. I think I'll go ahead and purchase the software.

5. SuckerPunch macrumors newbie

Did DataRescue II say that it would take 20985 + hours to finish your examination? It has taken me 8 hours to get 240 mb examined on an external 1TB firewire drive...