Data Rescue, Invalid Sibling Link

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by anza, Feb 15, 2009.

1. anza macrumors newbie

hey guys,

I'm hoping to hear some experiences with Data Rescue/Disk Warrior. I had a hard drive catastrophe Thursday night. Was just browsing in Safari when I got the stuck pinwheel. Couldn't force quit anything, had to shut down. Restarted and could never get past the grey apple screen.

I get an invalid sibling link error in singler user mode (using fsck), as it begins to read the "b-tree". I tried a couple tricks online having read accounts very similar to mine, but nothing worked. The drive is now grayed out in disk utility (when I boot from disc) and cannot be mounted.

I have both Data Rescue and Disk Warrior. I understand using DR first is the ideal move, as DW can be risky in attempts to repair. I've taken that advice, but DR is taking FOREVER. It is however still moving. In Quickscan it is showing 40,320 catalog items. So far it has processed almost 3000. However it went through the first 2500 very quickly, and has been creeping bit by bit since then. To get all the way to 40,000+ at this rate would take ...months? I am figuring it just needs to push through a particularly bad area and would then pick back up again?

Is there any relation between the error being in the catalog b-tree and the scan slowing down so early on? Any thoughts or success stories would be appreciated. The DW website is unclear on whether or not it is effective with invalid sibling link..just says "this is definitely an error you don't want to see.." :(

I'm a fool for not having a proper back up--i JUST bought a new external last weekend to back everything up--spent last weekend merging data from other externals, moving things back and forth so that I could reformat both of my externals in HFS (one was in NTFS). This weekend was going to properly back up my main drive. Terrible terrible luck. No excuse, but just making me want to kick myself that much harder.

The data on the drive is more or less priceless to me. I'm a musician and it contains dozens of compositions and projects in Logic Studio. I do not however, have the $1k it would cost to take it to a professional recovery service..at least for now. I remain somewhat hopeful with DR still moving, but know that for it to move this slow forever would probably be a very bad sign.

2. anza thread starter macrumors newbie

By the way, this is a relatively new machine. 20" 2.4 ghz iMac that was purchased in November of 2007. So approx 1.5 years old. I never expected this. It's my first Mac and (miraculously i guess), the first true hard drive failure of my life.

I've had machines crash before, but have always been mobo/power issues in which data was still salvageable.

3. anza thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I'm wondering if it's worth stopping Data Rescue and seeing what Disk Warrior may be able to do. If Disk Warrior attempts to repair and fails, what is the repercussion? Does it have any sort of recovery option in that case? Would the drive be in worse shape than before or would Data Rescue still be able to do whatever it can do now..