Data restore after jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jr.macintosh, Aug 1, 2012.

1. jr.macintosh, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012

jr.macintosh macrumors member

jr.macintosh

Hello, let me explain my situation.

Today my iphone 3GS (non-jailbroken) microphone stoppped working so i can't use it anymore as a phone, but however i can still use it as a ipod and for games. (fixing is not an option)
    I would like to jailbreak it but the problem is that i want to keep my data from my non-jailbroken iphone, so i could restore it on an iphone i will be buying (in the futur).
    However when i install the jailbreak, won't the restored data be lost?

Thanks

2. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Hello.

Well you gotta do this, backup your data prior to jail breaking.
    Then jailbreak.
    Problem solved.

Jailbreaking in no way forces you to restore your iPhone nor erase its contents or anything like that.
    The only "weird" thing is that from now on (although with your 3GS I think you reached the end of life with iOs 4.x?) each time you need to upgrade the firmware, you need to wait for the jailbreak to be available first, and then you'll need to restore your phone, install firmware, jailbreak and restore from a backup (no OTA updates, for instance).

3. jr.macintosh thread starter macrumors member

jr.macintosh

Ok thanks, but if you install the new firmware won't the original restore be overwritten, with the jailbroken restore?

4. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

I don't understand what you meant by that.

So that we are clear, let's talk about backups as in backing up your data on iTunes/iCloud.
    The restore which is the process that basically erases your iDevice and reinstalls the latest firmware.

When you are not jailbroken, you just jailbreak if the tools are available for your firmware and iDevice (plus if you have an iPhone, you gotta be aware of baseband upgrade issues). Prior to this you can make a backup.
    Then, when the new firmware comes out and the jailbreak tools are out once again, you have to restore to the latest firmware (thus deleting the data on your iDevice) but prior to this you make a backup of this data.
    Then you jailbreak like before, but since your iDevice is in a "clean" state (all apps and data deleted) then you restore once again, from a backup, this won't reinstall the firmware nor void the jailbreak, it will just copy back the data and settings from the backup (and sync your apps, etc).

5. jr.macintosh thread starter macrumors member

jr.macintosh

So basically you can keep an non-jailbreak restore and a jailbreakrestore.
    Of wich you can choose to restore from.

6. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Options:

Use the appropriate JB for your current firmware without restoring to the latest.

Resore to the latest firmware, restore from your backup to keep all your data/apps/texts, etc. then jailbreak.

Jailbreak now (on your current firmware), install AppBackup from Cydia (follow instructions to make a backup file). Update firmware to the latest version, jailbreak, and reinstall AppBakcup. Follow instructions to restore your apps/gamesaves.

Good luck.

7. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

I hope you are not talking about iTunes/iCloud backup, as once you are jailbroken mostly there will always be small traces of a previous jailbreak (which you could remove by taking your apps' data info and then putting it back via iFunBox -which claims to be able to write data on a non-jailbroken phone, although I think that's BS).

Now if you talk about when restoring what you can do, you can basically do a deletion (like a reset) that will leave you on the latest firmware with no jailbreak traces, or you can try restoring from a backup, which is, like I said before, simply copying back your app data, settings and whatnot from an iTunes/iCloud backup.
    I don't know if Erasing via the iDevice itself will force you to upgrade to the latest firmware (probably not) but I think via iTunes the only chance is to do so.