Data Restore

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by demfis, May 10, 2008.

1. demfis macrumors newbie

Dear all,

The HD on my Powerbook died and the data is being pulled (painfully expensively) at a data recovery center. The data will be put on a USB drive and I am being told that they cannot make a .dmg. Is there a way I can restore all of my information and user settings?. Thanks.

df

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I don't think it's there job to work out where the data lives.. I think you'll need to find out what goes where. As for getting the data to your Mac,
    Just plug in the USB drive into your system and copy it cover. Doesn't matter if it's on FAT32 or NTFS... OSX can read from most formats.

3. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

ouch data recovery is big bucks. GL with that. I wonder if all the files will be scattered/disorganized.

4. demfis thread starter macrumors newbie

That is what I am wondering. SO there is no way to restore everything the way I had it?. Everything will all be organized under my user folder. Do I need to hunt, and hunt more for where files go or is there a way i can just "clone it"?. Thanks.

df

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Your question is impossible to answer. We don't know what kind of damage there was to the data on the original drive, or what state it will be delivered to you from the recovery company.

6. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

I would ask the data restore people because I cannot tell what type of format or what information they are pulling. If they are just cloning your drive you can simply use disk utility as this is what I use with SuperDuper!

7. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I think it is time to invest in a External Backup drive. A WD 500GB is $100, it sure would have saved you a lot of time and money.

8. demfis thread starter macrumors newbie

The data recovery company will not do a .dmg of the dirve; hence my inquiry of a different way to restore the data back on the new drive. They will be providing me with a USB drive that will have all my files in it, but for which ever reason they cannot provide me with a disk image. Does that help you to answer the question?

df

9. demfis thread starter macrumors newbie

Believe me, I know that. In fact I already have one which incredibly or not, also went down about two weeks before the drive in the machine died also.....

df