data retrieval for defect iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by samuel1956, Jul 18, 2010.

1. samuel1956 macrumors newbie

Is it possible to retrieve data from the iPhone memory, when it's main board is defect? My iPhone is at the bottom of a harbour at the moment, and I wonder if it's worth the trouble to 'search and rescue' it. I guess the electronics are gone, but if the memory card/chip or something can be read out with external equipment, I would be able to retrieve the data - 'irreplaceable';) pictures, addresses etc -

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No way to retrieve anything off the phone in that shape.
    You should do backups thru iTunes often so you can plug in a new iPhone and sync all your stuff back.

3. samuel1956 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah yeah, I know what I should... But I didn't OK? That's not the issue, the issue is on what medium data are stored in an iPhone and if this might be read out - after dismantling the phone of course. I didn't expect letting it dry and just plug it in.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Obviously you will not be able to retrieve anything.
    You really plan on diving and looking for the iphone in the bottom of the sea?
    And then think that any electronic component will just plug in and you'll be able to retrieve your data by taking the phone apart?
    Its not happening, live, learn and be prepared next time cause things do happen to cellphones. Just backup your phone once every few weeks thru itunes to have all your stuff on it saved incase.
    Good luck.
    AJ

5. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

It may be possible, but first is finding it, and that will require a metal detector. Depending on the lake, it may be buried under 3-5 inches of silt right about now.

Even if you can find it, it is going to be like winning the Powerball lottery. At best, the battery will be shot. At worst, the chips have been so corroded that the IC which stores the actual data would be shot, and even an uncapping at a chip fab isn't going to do the trick.

Realistically, if you had to have the data, you will have to have divers hunt for it with metal detectors (expensive.) Then, even if it is recovered, there is not that much chance of being able to recover anything.

I say the prognosis is quite poor, but good luck in any case.