Data Roaming in US

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by wonga1127, Jan 8, 2009.

1. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

I currently live in the US and I just recieved a replacement iPhone for one with a faulty screen and the new one has trouble connecting to 3G networks in areas where there is for sure 3G data. I can connect by turning 3G off then on, so obviously there is coverage, and I was wondering if turning data roaming on will either 1) make my phone connect to 3G networks automatically and 2) make my bill more expensive or 3) if this is a problem that would require me to get another replacement. Thanks.

2. Lucbert macrumors regular

Lucbert

Data roaming has nothing to do with that. It's only for foreign countries like European Union and Japan.
    Do you have a 3G Data plan?
    Did you have 3G before you got the replacement?
    Where did you try it? ATT has some issues in NYC.

3. wonga1127 thread starter macrumors 6502

This is a brand new iPhone plan. I've had 3G since day one, which really wasn't that long ago (Jan. 2). I'm using it in a suburb of Chicago, for which AT&T shows 3G coverage by my house and around it. Before I got the replacement I was able to use 3G whenever I had a strong enough signal, so only when I was in basements or dead zones did I have trouble. My old phone connected to whatever was fastest.

4. WPeterson macrumors member

WPeterson

data roaming over 3g network? what the weird idea is!

months ago, after i travelled to japan in roaming, i got a incredible $300 bill from AT&T. so what can i suggest? :mad: