Data/SMS Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JDMFSeanP, Oct 30, 2008.

1. JDMFSeanP macrumors regular

Sorry for a post thats probably been made a million times I just need DIRECT confirmation about this before I go any further.

I wanna use my old 4gb iPhone that I dropped and cracked the screen becuase I want music again, but I'm now using a blackberry with unlimited texting and no data.

CAn I jailbreak the iphone and unlock it and use my ATT sim with unlimited texting abilities still?

Can I turn off data on the iphone?

Sorry for the most likely repost, I just need answers directly so I can be certain.

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

You may need to unlock it to be able to use other SIM cards.
    Check here for the right procedure:
    www.hackthatphone.com

3. JDMFSeanP thread starter macrumors regular

I know that much, my main concern is the SMS though.

Thanks for the quick response!

4. JDMFSeanP thread starter macrumors regular

5. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Sure, it'll work. SMS's will transfer.

Unlock and jailbreak your iPhone and just swap the sim from the blackberry to the iPhone and you'll be all set.

6. JDMFSeanP thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you very much :]

Will I just enter my number and do voicemail the old fashion way?

7. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

I don't understand...
    If you've got an iPhone sold by AT&T, and you want to use it with an AT&T SIM card, it is not necessary to unlock it.

Whether or not the SIM card is different from the card that was originally sold with the iPhone, or whether or not the SIM card is attached to an account that is different from the account under which the iPhone was originally sold, is irrelevant: If it's an AT&T iPhone, and an AT&T SIM card, it will work without the need to unlock it. (Jailbreaking might be necessary to get what you want; I don't know. But unlocking almost certainly isn't needed.)

8. mrtune macrumors 6502a

He has to unlock. The problem is because of the data plan. I ran into this problem, so that's why I said he should unlock. If you have a blackberry data plan (which is required for a blackberry to get emails) and you take the sim and plug it into the iphone, the iphone will register to att's network. The next time you plug the sim into the blackberry, you'll have lots of browser issues because it thinks you no longer require media net (since the iphone doesn't use the media net stuff).

I sat on the phone for a 1/2 hour with customer service trying to get my blackberry working 100% after swapping sims just one time. You won't have these problems with an unlocked iphone, well at least I don't.