Data Throttling

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iamse7en, Oct 17, 2011.

1. iamse7en, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2011

iamse7en macrumors member

Curious about AT&T 3G throttling. How does this work? I've seen that users who use a lot of data (nearly 10 GB) are getting text messages. Are they throttled for the rest of the month, or from now on? Must you be notified by text in order for AT&T to throttle you, or will they throttle whoever they want without even notifying them? Is it only the top 5%?

So much for "unlimited" data.

Update: So after reading a bit more, it says you will be notified before you are throttled, and it will last to next billing cycle. Does this mean if I go over their "limit" with 5 days left in my billing cycle, that I will be throttled for 5 days, then throttle is removed, or that I will be throttled for the 5 days, then the whole next month, until my throttle is removed?

2. DerekTS macrumors regular

I live in San Francisco and I have seen no evidence of ATT throttling my data speed. I have been getting fairly consistent speed tests of around 9mbs download speed and around 7-9 mbps upload speed. I have been watching the SpeedTest thread and I have been getting way faster data speeds than most people have reported in there.

3. iamse7en thread starter macrumors member

Derek, but are you throttled? Did they notify you?

4. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

The idea of AT&T throttling people is kind of a joke to me.

If someone is downloading 24/7 and using hundreds of GB's a month? Ok, I get it.

But the idea that someone using 10gb is "hurting" their network is laughable.

AT&T will continue with their idiotic low caps while pushing their penalties/fees (or starting the month date early) in the near future.

People keep assuming the caps will be raised....would love to see when that actually occurs b/c I suspect AT&T and Verizon will continue coming out with their surveys claiming that "everyone loves AT&T/Verizon plans and thus they see no reason to raise the caps"