data transfer between user accounts

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DJ Zoots, May 6, 2009.

1. DJ Zoots macrumors newbie

i added a bunch of fonts and brushes to photoshop on a second account, not the admin account, and i figured id be able to use them on the admin account too, but they are not there. is there a way to somehow transfer the brushes and fonts over to the admin account? i dont have all the files for the brushes and fonts no more, and dont feel like trying to find them all again.

2. msevild macrumors regular

Well it sounds like they are in your User's Library folder, not the main library folder, which is why they don't work on multiple accounts. If you go to Macintosh HD -> Users -> User that has font and brushes -> Library, you should be able to find the fonts under the fonts folder and as far as the brushes go I'm not sure if they will be under the application support folder in that library folder. Let me know how it goes. You will need to copy those over to the admin account and put them in their respective folders in the admin's library folder.

3. DJ Zoots thread starter macrumors newbie

is there a reason why i cant access the other users library and documents from the admin account. the folders have a lil red negative thing in the bottom right corner, and it tells me i dont have privaledge to access the folder. is there a way to unluck that so i can access everything while on the admin account?

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Yes there's a way, but it's really not recommended because it bypasses security for the machine. There's a Shared user folder that is setup for sharing things. I would recommend going that route. Each user also has a drop folder that other users can place files in without seeing the contents of the folder.

The admin account isn't the master account on the machine. There's also a root account which can access everything, but only people who really know what they are doing and need to use it should enable that account. You can quickly screw something up that messes up your other accounts.

5. DJ Zoots thread starter macrumors newbie

well i tried to copy the fonts folder and paste it in the shared folder, but none of the fonts i added where in there :(
    i guess i just have to redownload them again one by one

6. Virtuo macrumors member

Logging in as root for this is unnecessary. I recommend using the Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) and learning how to navigate through the directories; learn how to use commends 'cd' 'ls' 'cp' and 'mv'. When needed just enter 'sudo ' then the command to access root privileges. You will need to enter your admin password at this point. This is the most straight forward method.

For example, moving a file from your current desktop to another users desktop would be:

Code:
    sudo mv /Users/sourceaccountgoeshere/Desktop/file.txt /Users/targetaccountgoeshere/Desktop/"

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Can you see the files after you copied and pasted them in (before you switch to your other account)? Another option is to copy the files to a flash drive.