Data transfer failed. Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by thermodynamic, Oct 2, 2009.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

I set up my imac by booting up holding T to go into the disk transfer mode (firewire).

Installing Snow Leopard and rebooting the new Mac pro, it found the iMac and I started a profile transfer. I checked every checkbox.

When the mac pro was done, I rebooted.

The dock at the bottom of the screen is how I had it two months ago and none of my Adobe apps work.

And half my icons on the desktop no longer exist. :mad:

Something went wrong despite being told the transfer was successful.

Should I reformat and reinstall my apps fresh?

Or what can I do to get my full account copied over? Should I risk using migration assistant?

Thanks for any help you can provide! I just don't understand why it would remember my dock settings from 2 months ago and forget half my desktop icons exist. Not to mention Adobe...

2. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

The firewire transfer has been kind of flaky for me at least.
    If you can shove the iMac disk into a external case case that could be better.

And the normal migration assistant has been usually very good,for me,again.I think dozens of migrations here and no problems.
    But those have allways been from internal disks (transfered them inside MP,G5 or G4) or via FW external boxes.

3. davidlv macrumors 65816

I would suggest an erase and install, followed by a manual data transfer from the target disk mode mounted iMac.
    I recently bought a new Macbook Pro and did the Migration transfer from my PPC G5 tower, which completely messed up the SL system. :eek:
    The MA file and settings transfer is of course attractive as it saves so much time, but my file permissions got really wacky, baffling the people at Applecare, and in the end it was faster to do acomplete install, but I did copy some preferences etc. Also took care to download Intel versions of all the freeware stuff I used, and updated all of the purchased applications. Result: stable system and no strange glitches. YMMV but in my experience the long road turned out to be the shortest route.:cool:

4. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

Is that just copying my user profile folder from the 'target disk' iMac to the new Mac Pro? Does that also include profile settings so I wouldn't have to re-make the profile once done reinstalling?

Thx!

5. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

Update: In target disk mode (iMac) and started copy. 355.27GB to go, approximate completion: 12 hours. That's like 30GB per hour and half-gig per minute. Is that slow, for firewire?

Or could it be copying a huge file, that's slowing things? I do have a VMWare session that's 13GB, for example...