Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t0n3s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Hello!

I'm new to the Apple world, recently decided to go with a Mac Mini instead of upgrading my old PC - amazingly smooth swap so far, currently in the process of moving data and formatting hard drives to work correctly for read/write access and I keep encountering a specific error message yet can't find much about this via google. I was rather hoping someone could push me into the right direction or inform me of what it actually means.

When copying a file from one hdd to another (both in the same dual bay enclosure) I encounter an error from Finder stating:
"The operation can't be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -8062)."

The files then lock themselves and the transfer ceases, I have to force quit Finder and then delete the partially visible transfer files and continue again.

Oh also, it's the new Mac Mini with Lion.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Akarin

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2011
Nyon, Switzerland
What's the size of the files that cause the problem? What are the partition types of both hard drives?

Have you tried repairing disks permissions? (In disk utility -> Repair Disk Permissions).

t0n3s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Thanks for the reply, I should have included that information in the OP!

File size varies due to being music, movies, tv etc. I've got 5 HDDs in NTFS from my old dead windows desktop that i'm converting into something more friendly.

The disk permission repair will not work for the external drives, I have performed a verify on the already Journal'd drives and it seems okay. I have also performed basic hardware diagnostics just to check for errors and that was okay too.

It doesn't seem to be corrupt files as they can transfer fine, and I do them in segments rather than one large transfer.

I get the feeling it's to do with the NTFS format, as the error code 8062 does exist for Windows based file system errors apparently - after some extensive googling I found that out after this post. So I may have to chalk it up to NTFS errors if nobody has came across this issue before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.