Data Transfer From Dead Macbook Pro to New Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JonnyAlpha, Sep 18, 2014.

1. JonnyAlpha macrumors regular

Hi;

My Mac (Macbook Pro Late 2008 Unibody) is dead (Coffee spilliage), its probably not repairable as it will no longer turn on even using the Logic Board pin short out method.

The Hard Drive was OK so hopefully it still will be and if I buy a new Macbook Pro transferring most of the data will be easy using a USB enclosure however, I am not sure how to transfer things like the iphoto database, itunes and imail?

I have heard about migration assistant but I don't want to transfer a load of defunct software?

Any help would be great?

2. thebrick macrumors regular

thebrick

While the first boot up on your new mac, you can simply migrate every single personal data into your new mac, using your old drive in a usb enclosure.
    When you see the migration option while first boot, simply connect your usb drive with old mac's hdd and choose 'from another mac'. After you choose a source, you will be able to choose what specific data to migrate.

3. JonnyAlpha thread starter macrumors regular

4. Pray4Me macrumors newbie

Help

I am wondering if it worked for you!

I had a leak in my roof and the leak went ALL OVER my computer and fried it! first let it sit in silica crystals for a couple of weeks, it worked fine, then it started to get super slow, and after several weeks of not using it, whenever I start it up it goes to the gray screen and the screen turns off. I can still hear it running!

I am hoping I can transfer the data from it to my mac mini via the way u did!