Data transfer from water damaged MacBook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bemiller, May 28, 2013.

1. Bemiller macrumors newbie

So this weekend I woke up from a a night of drinking and my labtop was covered in water while it was plugged in (no idea how or why). Anyways, it is fried and no longer works even after 4 days of air drying (huge suprise). So my question is would I be able to transfer the data from my hard drive to an external? And if I can would I be able to do it myself? I called geek squad and they seemed confident it could be restored but gave me no guarantee, and said it would cost > $100 regardless. Thanks for the help!

2. ahdickter macrumors 6502

First question: what model MacBook Pro?

If it is a Retina model, then removing the SSD into an external enclosure will be a bit more of a hassle. I believe OWC sells external enclosure for the blade-type SSDs found in rMBPs. If it is a non-retina model, then you will need to remove the SSD/HDD and either place it inside an external enclosure or inside another computer to access the data.

Second question: Is the whole computer fried, or can you hear the fans running?

If it's the latter, then it might just be possible screen damage, and using another mac in Target Disk Mode will help you recover any data you need.

All of this is contingent on water damage not occurring to the HDD/SDD itself.

Good luck!

3. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Maybe lock the computer up before you go drinking in the future.

Just kidding. Above poster has good advice.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

if non-retina you an remove the HDD and put it in an external enclosure.

5. Bemiller thread starter macrumors newbie

It is a non-retina model so that's great that I can just put it into an external enclosure (if the HDD isn't fried). The fan isn't working so I think it is completely fried. Thanks so much for help!

----------

I have one more question for you kind sir. Because am technologically illiterate, what is the difference between an external enclosure and an external harddrive (or are they the same thing)? And if I were to have an external enclosure, do I need a special cord to connect it with the SSD or is it just a USB? Thanks again!

6. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

You can skip the enclosure entirely and just get a SATA to USB adapter.

7. ahdickter macrumors 6502

So and external Hard drive is simply an regular Hard drive inside an external enclosure. An external enclosure is simply an SATA to USB housing into which you can place your own Hard drive.

If the Hard drive in the MBP is not ruined, you can put it inside an enclosure to recover the data.

Alternatively, you can use a dedicated SATA to USB dock or cable like the above user suggested to connect the Hard drive to another computer through its USB port. Your choice.

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

^^

This

Remove the HDD and put it into an enclosure. With any luck, the drive should still work...as long as it does, you will be able to copy the data off it to another Mac.

In addition to putting your Mac away when partying, Time Machine backs are also a good idea..:) No offence meant.

9. Juliusgi, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014

Juliusgi macrumors newbie