data transfer old mac --> new mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by seenett, Aug 26, 2009.

1. seenett macrumors regular

This Friday I am going to treat myself to a new MBP with the arrival of Snow Leopard. Are there any tips or pitfalls to be aware of when transferring data from old MB to new MBP?

I plan on using Migration Assistant with firewire. SEEMS pretty straight forward. Need to transfer all applications and data. I still haven't entirely shaken my Windows past, so I am a bit nervous.

Also, after the transfer is complete, what is the best/most secure way to wipe out the MB HD, reinstall OSX 10.5, and prepare for an ebay sale?

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

A clean install. ;)

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Nope. Migration Assistant will get the job done.

Insert the MacBook restore disk and boot to that by holding the C key on startup. Once you've selected a language, go to Utilities -> Disk Utility and format the drive to one partition called "Macintosh HD" (the default name), selecting a 7-pass secure erase.

Once that's done, go ahead and install the Mac OS X using the default settings. When the computer restarts, hold the option key on startup until the boot menu appears. Eject the disk and hold the power button to turn the computer off. Now when the new buyer starts the computer for the first time they'll be presented with the setup assistant and the little startup video.

4. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Just a pointer...If you have limewire or other java-based apps that transfer any larger amounts of data at all, i'd suggest getting disk warrior to repair your directory damage that the program has probably caused.

I've seen major problems in cases like this. Usually disk warrior does just fine then you can migrate safely.