Data transfer please help ASAP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rhill14, May 27, 2010.

1. rhill14 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    i just got a new macbook pro 13" laptop and am trying to transfer my itunes music as well as some data i have compiled into a single folder from my (2005) Powerbook G4 12" laptop. Please help me out with this i have no idea how to do this and the Apple Store said they will do it for $100 and i just poured every penny i own into this computer and cannot sell me old computer to pay bills until i transfer this data. Thanks so much for your help.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you have an ext HD or memory stick, use that to transfer the files. It can be done wirelessly if they are in the same network but that's painfully slow. You can also connect them with Ethernet or FireWire cable and run the PowerBook in Target Disk Mode

3. rhill14 thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont have an external hard drive or anything like that to be able to transfer all my songs in itunes. Any suggestions as in what is the whole process of doing it and what will i need to do it? thanks

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can do it step by step, no need to transfer all songs in one shot. If you don't even have a memory stick, go and grab a 4GB or 8GB, they are pretty cheap nowadays and very useful. You can just import them to iTunes from the memory stick and they'll be copied to iTunes Music folder and that's pretty much it, just copy the album art file too if you want

5. peppermg macrumors newbie

I would suggest using Firewire target disk mode. If you already have a firewire cable lying around it will cost you nothing, otherwise you will need to borrow or purchase a firewire cable.

All you would do is connect the firewire cable between the two computers and startup the 12" PB while holding down 'T'. The 12' PB's harddrive will now show up on your new 13" MBP and you will be able to transfer the data over.

6. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Put it all on your iPod and transfer. Or use that iTunes thing where you share music and transfer it like that. Jump drive would be quicker though.

I just moved mine from my PB to my MBP with my iPod Video. Easiest way to do it.