Data Transfer Question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DaveSchneid, Jul 31, 2008.

1. DaveSchneid macrumors newbie

So I just got a macbook, and I'm wondering what the best way to transfer all my data to it is. I have a 750 GB External with 500 GB of stuff on it hooked up to my PC through eSata, problem is, its formated to NTFS. I'm pretty sure that I cant get it to Fat-32 without erasing my data (which is just not gonna happen). So other than buying a new external to transfer files, is there anything I can do?

PS: DVD Burning wont work for alot of what I want to do as alot of what I want to transfer are large mkv files (8 GB plus a piece)

I guess I could just shell out the money for a 16 GB flash drive, I did see one on Newegg for 60 some dollers. Anyone have any other ideas? Compress files to fit on duel layer dvds?

2. DaveSchneid thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess Ill just buy a small external and format it to fat32, anyone have any mac compatible suggestions that would be cheap? As long as its like 20gb or more that's fine, but I cant seem to find one that small anywhere. I don't mind going back and forth deleting everything to move data for this one time, and I've got everything backed up with my PC, and the 750gig external that's hooked up to it, anyone know where to grab an external that small?

3. Martron macrumors regular

i haven't done this...but i'm pretty sure you can connect the two comps with an ethernet cord and itll act like theyre on a network. then you can just transfer the stuff from the external attached to the pc onto the macbook. look it up on apple.com, i'm pretty sure there's an article about it. if that doesn't work, talk to apple. if you just bought it from them i know that they will do free file transfers but itll take 24-48 hours. i'm not sure what the rules are to make it "free" but if you bought the macbook from them recently, i bet they will.

4. Jer0nimo macrumors newbie

Jer0nimo

If your external drive has a USB or FireWire connection, you could simply hook it up to your MacBook since OS X can read and copy files from NTFS, it just can't write to NTFS.

Like the above poster said, you could also connect another computer to your router via ethernet and have it on the network, just go to Finder > Go > Connect to Server and enter in smb://[IP address of the other computer] and your other computer will appear in the Finder sidebar under Shared. If you're doing this with Windows, make sure you have file sharing enabled on whatever folder you want to be shared. Hope this helps.

5. DaveSchneid thread starter macrumors newbie

well my external is hooked up to my pc with esata, and I tried hooking it up with usb at the same time and it didnt show up on on my macbook - dont know if it would work if i unplugged it from the pc but I cant try that for a day or two, as everything is packed up because I'm moving to a new apartment tomorrow. But if that doesnt work I'm just going to put this internal into an enclosure when I get a new one and use that, but it would be nice to be able to get my macbook and pc hooked up to my external at the same time, any way thats possible?

I'm running tiger by the way

6. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

I doubt you will be able to use the two interfaces at the same time (often user manuals report a damage may occur if you try). But you can transfer the data easily if you disconnect the esata and use the USB to connect to the mac. Since you have NTFS the mac will only be able to read the data and not write to it. There are third party utilities to make it possible to write to NTFS disks, like MacFuse.

7. allmywebsite1 macrumors newbie

See.. there is some software available in the marketin u will get the crack even for that which will change your poartiion without format. and i m sure. i had done this beore 2 years... and get my work done.. try it.