Resolved Data Transfer, Thunderbolt to non TB devices? Clarification needed!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ColeUK, Sep 6, 2011.

1. ColeUK, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011

ColeUK macrumors member

I currently have an iMac (Early 2009) and transfer data using the application ChronoSync via 'Firewire' to my MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010). This is done bi directionally with the minimum of fuss.

I am looking to buy a new MacBook Pro (Early 2011) which will come with the new 'Thunderbolt' port.

Will I be able to data transfer between these two devices? If so how, and what do I need to bear in mind? I can't seem to find definitive answers on the web.

I simple would like to sync my files on the two systems like before with speed and ease? :confused:

Many Thanks, Cole

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You can continue to use FireWire, however you may need a new FireWire 800 cable if you're currently using 400.

3. Sc00tr macrumors regular

Looks like you need to wait untill 3rd part company's make adapters.

Found this on the web -

Is Thunderbolt backward-compatible with USB and FireWire?

Third-party vendors will sell adapters, available sometime this spring, that let you connect USB, FireWire 400, and FireWire 800 devices to Thunderbolt ports. Thunderbolt won’t make these legacy devices any faster, however—they’ll still be limited to the performance of their built-in components. For example, a FireWire 800 device still won’t be able to transfer data faster than 800 Mbps.

4. ColeUK thread starter macrumors member

Sweet, so just need a Firewire 800 cable and I'm good to go! Thanks! Seems too easy!

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You may already be using 800; take a look at your existing cable. Excuse my iSight photo but the one on the left is 400 and the right is 800.

Attached Files:

6. ColeUK thread starter macrumors member

But I am able to make use of the Firewire 800 Port I see. (which I hadn't realised the new MBP had).

----------

Yeh just checked mine is Belkin Firewire 800, 9 pin to 9 pin.

Bit elementary maybe, but you get complacent! Hadn't even noticed the new MBP still supported FireWire.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You can indeed get complacent. When I upgraded from a 2006 MBP to my current 2011 I was shocked at what was missing (numeric keypad mode, DVI port, FireWire 400 port, ExpressCard slot). I had to buy a new FireWire 400 to 800 cable to connect my hard drive, and I still miss the keypad mode occasionally! It's so easy to look at what's new, and completely skip over what's gone.

But it looks like you're all sorted :)

8. ColeUK thread starter macrumors member

The reason why I ask is I am considering selling my current MBP to a friend and purchasing a 2011 13.3" MBP. My current MBP had lots of add ons when I purchased of which little I use or benefit from. My main concern right now is to get a more portable laptop that will get me out the house more, and can travel easier with my canon camera (say If i go out in London or away with work, as I am a flight attendant). That said I might just be making excuses for why I don't use it much already, because I am so lazy maybe?, so much to think about!

Its sad, but the smaller MBP gives me more options when buying a bag to lug around my stuff, and so forth, I use the current MBP for the bare minimum atm. Its a weird trade off, but I intended to use it for graphic design, photo editting of which I do little currently. Hoping although the specs may not be as good? I will be use it more for the intended purpose, I have an iMac at home if need be, and I will up the 2011 MBP to 8GB Memory?

Finally I will continue to sync both devices using Firewire, as I like to keep a majority of files up to date.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated, probably not making myself very clear here though? lol