Data transfer to 12"PB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nhcowboy1, Feb 6, 2008.

1. nhcowboy1 macrumors 6502

I need to transfer - well, actually, copy - the data on my mini to my new 12" PB. I recall being told that it could be done with firewire, but I can't remember how . . .

And is there any reason I can't upgrade the OS to the same one I have on the mini? Can I just do that using firewire? (I do have the install discs, if I need them.)

Okay, I'll start by plugging it in . . .

2. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

use superduper or carbon copy. both are free i believe.

3. Designer1 macrumors member

To start firewire disk mode: Make sure the the Mini is turned off. Connect both computers with a firewire cable. Turn on the Mini while holding down the 'T' key on the keyboard. You should see the firewire symbol on the display of the Mini and the Mini should show up as an external hard drive on the PB.

This can be time consuming, though, if you want to copy all the files. I just used it to copy my music library and a few other files. If you want to copy everything then refer to the post above.

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

just do it overnight. Its basically just hooking the hd into your pb as if it were in a regular external drive enclosure.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If Mini is intel, then you can't clone your OS to Powerbook.

If mini is G4, then use firewire mode.

Certain apps (not sure which: superduper or carbon copy cloner) are not Leopard compatible yet though.

6. nhcowboy1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Don't have either Leopard or intel, so that's not a problem. What about copying applications - will either method work? I've just looked and I have my 10.4 disc, but can't find Word . . . I must have put it someplace "safe" (so g-d only knows where it would be!) - can I just transfer it over?

And, in the future, to copy single documents back and forth - what's the quickest way to do it? The options are thumb drive, firewire, wireless . . . .

Oh, how about the obvious question - what's the firewire cable look like again? I have one mixed in with a bunch or other stuff - just don't remember which is which anymore.

And, an unrelated question - how do I clean the keyboard and screen of the aluminum pb? If there's something I can use that I'd already have at home, that would be helpful - it's pouring snow right now and I can't get out!

Thanks!!!

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

google: wiki firewire

Standard is the firewire 400 6-pin connector.

Both superduper or carbon copy cloner can clone your whole HD (with apps, user settings, documents) to PB.