data transfer to a new iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dont24, Aug 11, 2007.

1. dont24 macrumors regular

Just bought a new 24" iMac. I need to transfer my data from a G4 mini. I have the entire disk backed up to an external FW drive. Should I just plug it into the iMac and drag/drop? I thought about migration assistant, but I thought I saw a thread about issues with this when going from a PowerPC to an Intel version. Not too concerned about the apps. I can re-install. Just want to make sure all the user data is transferred correctly. ( photos, iTunes library, email and email settings, etc.. )
    Thanks in advance.

Update: I should have searched the forum first. Seems like I can use migration assistant to transfer all my docs. I won't do a full transfer. Then re-install teh necessary apps.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I did not have a problem with my migration at all -> PPC to Intel and I did a full migration. If you have everything backed up, them if there is something that doesn't make it, you have the back up.

It really does make the process simple.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Migration Assistant will work just fine. The one thing you will want to check is the Activity Monitor to help track down PPC code programs that have to run under Rosetta on the Intel chip. Some you can upgrade, some you just have to live with. But you will at least know.

4. dont24 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! I used migration assistant to copy the User data over. Everything went great. I don't mind re-installing apps.

5. dont24 thread starter macrumors regular

I'll have to live with Office and Photshop Elements running under Rosetta for now. Not a big deal.