Data transfer via firewire

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bryanall, Aug 5, 2008.

1. bryanall macrumors newbie

I am trying to transfer data via firewire from my Power Mac G4, running OSX10.3.4 to my 2.66Mhz G5 running Leopard . There is app.80GB of data to transfer. It's been grinding away for about an hour and a half now. How long should it take to do the transfer? There is a small firewire icon on the desktop of the G5 also a dialogue box on the screen of the G5 saying "Waiting for discs to appear", there is also the revolving beach ball showing. On the G4 there is just a grey screen with a large firewire symbol moving around the screen, so I assume everything is working. Regards, bryanall.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Sounds like a error. Restart the source computer (the G4 I assume) and hold down T again. The try to transfer again. 80GB should take between 27minutes (top speed) and about 50.

TEG

3. bryanall thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Teg,
    Thanks for the advice, tried it again, still no luck. I'll do a bit of research and try later. Regards, bryanall

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You could always just transfer over Firewire like it was a network connection. Just connect to the G4 like it was a server, use its Admin Name and Password, and you'll have access to the entire system.

TEG

5. bryanall thread starter macrumors newbie

Data transfer

Thanks again Teg for the advice, I bought the G4 new in 2000 but with the various upgrades have lost the original Admin p/word, and I don't have the OSX10 disks to change it. Regards, bryanall