"Data Unlimited for iPhone on 4G LTE without Visual Voicemail" Say what?!?!?!

marddin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
So I was finalizing my order on the AT&T website since they still had shipping 9/21 and apple said "2 weeks", and saw this message before checking out

"Data Unlimited for iPhone on 4G LTE without Visual Voicemail"

What gives..........?

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
i do not see that message in your screen shot....and I don't think anyone else got that.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
seriously, that would be so dirty of att to remove that feature for people with unlimited.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
That's weird, it looks like it's charging you twice for unlimited data. Must be some sort of bug in there system. One showing without visual voicemail and the other not showing that.

bjgpp

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
Southlake, TX
I got the same thing at checkout. I ended up just accepting the shipping delay and ordering from apple.com rather then trying to deal with AT&T Customer Service later on.

Tenderlointips

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Doesn't seem like something to worry about

I just got done with an online chat with support. They basically said that the existing plan is considered "4G without VVM" since there was no 4G plan before. The new plan is unlimited 4G w/ VVM. So there is no change from the existing plan except that it supports 4G.

ThunderApple

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
I just got done with an online chat with support. They basically said that the existing plan is considered "4G without VVM" since there was no 4G plan before. The new plan is unlimited 4G w/ VVM. So there is no change from the existing plan except that it supports 4G.
It showed me the same thing when I ordered, it doesn't explain why there is a charge for $30 twice though. Will they fix it?

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
I got the same thing.

But it really isn't a charge, the total shows only the phone and their upgrade charge.

I figured I would sort it out when I receive the phone.

jmille44

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
Same Issue

The ATT website was so slow upgrading to iPhone 5.
I got the same double $30 fee.

ZhenyaF

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I got the same message on my dad's account - I figure its just a glitch.

My account has a FAN discount, so I didnt get that message on the new line that I created, or the 2 lines that I upgraded.

marddin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Thanks for everyone's response. This seems to be the logical explanation. I doubt they would not include visual voicemail honestly.

JFC

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
I get this every time I try to order. What I don't understand is where is the information about minutes and texts. I want to keep my current talk, text and unlimited data.

mario24601

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
WTF? That would be just wrong if ATT did that! I could not order through ATT so got through Apple and just saw my reg. unlimited GF data plan.

jfk3674

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010
I assume its some sort of inventory or billing issue with their system. When the first bill comes with the 36 upgrade fee I'm checking the data plan. I already gave up tether (well except those aps that sneak through the itunes store) and facetime, I'll raise heck if they took away VM

marddin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
It seems to be a system glitch since everyone is getting varied results as far as what data plan/minutes are listed.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I've thought about this and I know the ATT system was having issues earlier this AM. I think it's just a programming error. There are probably two unlimited LTE data plans -- one for Android or Win phones that don't have VV capability, and one for phones those that do. iPhone users weren't the only ones grandfathered w/ unlimited data. There are a lot of old BB and Palm users out there that upgraded to iPhone or Android.

Well at least that's the only plausible reason I can think for the two LTE messages.

Update spoke to AT&T. Rep said it just means you have the option to turn off VV. Kind of wierd. Why would you want to turn off VV?

Last edited:

spitfire1958

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2014
Scammed

They are essentially charging you twice for the same thing. We pay $40 per line for the Mobile Share Value Plan 2GB PLUS $40 for Mobile Share Value Plan iPhone w/Visual Voicemail. I was told we have to have the Visual Voicemail in order to "access" our 2GB data plan. What a ripoff! :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.