Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akitamommy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Hello all! Just got a new iPhone 4 and I have a few questions. I only subscribed to the 200 mb data plan because I have Wifi at home, school and work so I wouldn't be using it other than that really a whole lot! I think the 200 mb would be plenty for the use that I will be doing out of a Wifi zone!

Anyway, I've been using the iphone at home and I used it for maybe 5 minutes total yesterday without Wifi. I checked my data usage today and it says I've already used 16.0 gb in ONE day even though I've hardly used it at all.

I called AT&T and they said something about the app not turning off by itself. But I'm not understanding because I've only been in a Wifi area.

I tried looking up info and I don't understand much of it. Anyway, I just went to my Settings and turned OFF Cellular Data. I can still use my Wifi and place calls.

Is this the right thing to do? Does this mean I will have to turn ON cellular data when I want to use it out of a Wifi area?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I don't think its even possible to use 16Gb of cellular data in one day.

The only cell data your iPhone would use when on WiFI would be to send or receive a MMS.

akitamommy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
What I'm saying is that I don't think is possible. I used internet without wifi for maybe 5 minutes at most!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Its the times your iPhone was asleep and it turned off the WiFi to save power. Maybe it was checking email or maybe it was checking for push notifications.

akitamommy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
But my point is that I'm not even USING internet without Wifi!!!!!!! I'm just trying to understand how it is using all of this data without me actually doing anything.

I'm leaving cellular data OFF tonight and see what happens. But if this helps it will be a little inconvenient to turn data ON everytime I want to use it outside of Wifi area!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
But my point is that I'm not even USING internet without Wifi!!!!!!! I'm just trying to understand how it is using all of this data without me actually doing anything.

I'm leaving cellular data OFF tonight and see what happens. But if this helps it will be a little inconvenient to turn data ON everytime I want to use it outside of Wifi area!

The iphone is a data hog.
It uses data even when you dont think it does.
Only way to make sure it isnt is to turn off cellular data.
You might have apps or email pulling/checking and using data and many other things when away from WiFi.
Who knows what app pulled it but it did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.