Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

April Dancer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
Surrey, UK
I'm off to Ireland at the end of the month. Will be staying a week and obviously don't want to run up a huge bill, but I need internet and email, after all, what's the point of an iPhone if you don't!

o2 have two bolt ons, £20 for 10MB and £50 for 50MB. Now I'm sure as hell not shelling out £50. Do you think that 10MB would last a week for checking email and a bit of light surfing every day? I'm not used to having to watch how much I use it so I don't really have any idea.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Checking e-mail, probably, yes -- if you don't look at HTML e-mails (because they can be 100-200kb each, once they load images, so then that's like 5-7% of your daily allotment just for the one e-mail). Surfing, my guess honestly would be no. But the easiest thing for you to do is experiment. Go to settings -> general -> usage, reset the statistics, use your phone for a few days, and track how you use data yourself. Each of us is different... if I had 10MB for a week on my iPhone, I probably would basically not let myself surf at all, and only actually read the text e-mails. But then I dunno how many e-mails you receive a day, etc. So best is to go off your own usage statistics.

stofferdk

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2007
Copenhagen, Denmark
I'm off to Ireland at the end of the month. Will be staying a week and obviously don't want to run up a huge bill, but I need internet and email, after all, what's the point of an iPhone if you don't!

o2 have two bolt ons, £20 for 10MB and £50 for 50MB. Now I'm sure as hell not shelling out £50. Do you think that 10MB would last a week for checking email and a bit of light surfing every day? I'm not used to having to watch how much I use it so I don't really have any idea.

It will be enough for you to check your email and make some replies. Do not surf around if you wish to stay below the 10MB! Also - always check under usage on your iPhone when you near the 10MB.

April Dancer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
Surrey, UK
Eek! That bad huh? OK, good idea, resetting now. I'm going to be in the back of beyond so wifi and even 3G isn't looking remotely hopeful. Hey ho, the coverage might be so bad that I'll have to just live without!

Thanks for that. It'd be interesting to see what I actually use anyway :)

DPB17

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
Ireland, unfortunately.

Hi! I'm in Ireland and the deal here is that you get free wifi from bitbuzz and I think it's like that with the cloud in the uk, anyway you could try using it if your near a hotspot prob won't work but you can always try!;) And if you do buy the 10MB I would not really recommend browsing webpages unless you want an insane bill. If you jailbreak your iPhone you can use a program called "AircrackNG" I think to hack into wireless networks but that's a bit much to do for just a week.

Cheers (insert smiley face here----->)

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
No web browsing, and if you send/receive like 15 emails a day, 10MB should be good for an entire month. My average emails are 10-20kb

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.