iPad Data usage for streaming video?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iMas70, Mar 19, 2013.

1. iMas70 macrumors 6502a

Has anyone noticed how much data streaming video uses? I use Pandora and navigation programs on my phone sometimes. Even with what I think is a lot of use (for me), I barely break 2 GB. Was just viewing usage for my iPad, it's at 1962 MB after 21 days this month and I very rarely use it outside the home (WiFi). My kids use it to watch cartoons while we're out sometimes. If I had to guess, I'd say it's only about 4 or 5 hours plus maybe another hour or two for me. And that's pushing it. I was just looking at my usage for last month, 1175 MB. Seems like more use than I think. I'm going to have to watch this more.

I watched usage on my phone before. Using Pandora and navigation, it was just under 200 MB per hour. Much less for just Pandora.

2. kaylerrific macrumors regular

Yeah, I made the same mistake as you. Video definitely sucks your data plan dry!

3. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

i streamed an episode of House of Cards on Netflix (54 mins). it streamed in HD. it used 1.94GB

thank gosh i have an unlimited plan on my iPhone (wifi tethered my iPad to my iPhone)

5. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I also have the unlimited data plan for my iPhone (AT&T). Do I need to jailbreak the phone to be able to tether the iPad to the phone?

6. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

not sure b/c i have verizon. with verizon, if you have unlimited data you have to pay an extra $15/mo for tethering and you only get 2GB of data per month for tethering

jailbreaking unlocks the feature and allows you to tether via your unlimited data plan, not a separate plan

taking an educated guess - yes you need to jailbreak

7. Powrie macrumors 6502

When they standardize on the new HD quality encode that has small files sizes ATT is gonna cry themselves to sleep.

8. Han Solo 1 macrumors 6502

Sometimes I am thrilled with the fact that I have Verizon unlimited LTE, with no throttling.

9. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Far as I know tethering the iPad to the iPhone via wifi will make it run at a higher quality than using an iPad on built in LTE/3G. I think they limit the quality while on cellular but if you wifi tether the iPad thinks it is on wifi.

I have a shared dataplan of 10 GB between my phone and my iPad and have no problems, don't use my iPad too much out of the home though. If I would ever go over I could just buy 10 GB more for $20 equivalent.