Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petalino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Here is the scenario.

I plan to use an Ipad as a cashregister in my vendor kiosk.
Square Register App seems to be my choice.

I could buy an Ipad 2 or Ipad 3 for this task.

I plan signup for the cheapest internet package from ATT, which is $14.99 I believe. They allow up to 250MB per month.

After initial testing on an Ipad2 the 250MB will be sufficient to run Square Register for a month plus a little webbrowsing, but not much.

If I get Ipad3 instead of Ipad 2, will my usage increase due to the retina display and 4G? If so, can I keep it down by signing up for the 3G plan instead?

Is there a different plan for 4G?

If there is a diffferent plan, can I just choose the 3G plan?

I guess my main question would be: will my data usage be much different on Ipad3 than on Ipad2 if I perform same tasks?

Thanks in advance

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
The usage should not change if you are doing the same tasks.

The difference between 3G, 4G, and LTE will be the speed.

petalino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Retina

So, contrary to some opinions which I read here, the retina display does not use more data than the Ipad 2 display?

The usage should not change if you are doing the same tasks.

The difference between 3G, 4G, and LTE will be the speed.

pelicanflip

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2009
NYC
So, contrary to some opinions which I read here, the retina display does not use more data than the Ipad 2 display?

Unfortunately, anyone can write anything on the forums. Half of which is either untrue or halfbaked.

The retina display has nothing to do with your data usage. What content you are trying to access, data size, and time are what you should be concerned with.

People end up thinking, "Wow, I can download X in half the time with 4G LTE. I only used half the time, so I can keep downloading for the other half." When in reality, you've just shortened the download time, not the data size.

An iPad 2 should suffice for what you need, just be wary of your data usage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.