Data Usage on Wifi

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Knarl, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Knarl macrumors member

Question: I've used my iPhone exclusively on wifi so far. Yet, I have around 200 kB of data used under my usage details. I haven't even used the phone while on 3G yet. Anyone know why this is?

2. rmwhite macrumors member

200kB is virtually nothing. Maybe it picks up a few kB of data before it "realizes" that it's on wifi?

3. Knarl thread starter macrumors member

I realize 200 kB is hardly anything, but I worry that if some data can slip by, that perhaps a larger amount might slip by as well at some point.

4. Centient macrumors 6502

Do you have your Push notifications on for any apps or email? I'd wager you probably have it on for email. Assuming you've been outside of a wi-fi connection at some point with the phone it's entirely possible that you're using some 3G data via Push without actively doing so or being aware of it.

5. Knarl thread starter macrumors member

I didn't use my phone at all between getting it at the Apple Store and setting it up to my home wifi. All yesterday my only usage was at home on my wifi. The only thing I can think of was the phones were in sleep mode on the drive home, but I hadn't activated my email account or downloaded any apps at that point.

6. Centient macrumors 6502

Did you set up email w/Push when you got home? Do you ever have router or internet connection issues at home? Possible that either your router or internet connection dropped at some point (while you were asleep or not paying attention). With such little data used I keep thinking it's some type of Push notification over 3G. Though I'm not going to claim to be an expert here.

Good luck. :)

7. Knarl thread starter macrumors member

I actually made sure to set email push to manual once I got it set up. I didn't want my data used up by checking for email all the time. All yesterday whenever I used my phone, I always saw the little wifi graphic in the top left (as opposed to the 3G graphic that shows when I'm off of wifi).

I did accidentally just use 3G a few minutes ago when I checked my email, and my work's wifi hadn't connected yet. Now I'm up to 313 kB. :p

I suppose it's possible that the iphone takes a few seconds to connect to wifi when I first wake it up, and maybe the data usage is from those few seconds of loading a page before the wifi kicks in. But yesterday I always made sure that the wifi graphic displayed before doing anything. If no one else is having this problem, then obviously there's something going on on my end somewhere. I just wondered if there was some function behind the scenes that bypassed wifi and just used 3G or something.

8. thatisme macrumors 6502

thatisme

visual voicemail will do this if you got a voicemail message.

9. alana22 macrumors regular

Was probably something that happened during setup. If it hasn't happened again I wouldn't worry about it.

10. Knarl thread starter macrumors member

It has gone up in small increments since yesterday. I checked it several times yesterday, and it was slightly higher pretty much each time. I'm now making sure to close all multitasking apps in case they are doing some sort of data usage while my phone is asleep.