data usage over att instead of wifi

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by intelmovies, Jul 28, 2010.

1. intelmovies macrumors newbie

have you guys and gals checked your data usage on att website? i'm seeing data usage over att instead of my wifi at times of the day when we are at home. like my phone used 40mb at 11:30 at night when i wasn't even using the phone. yes, it does check email but i don't even get that much email for it to be 4 mb let alone 40 mb.

called att and they said your wifi is not setup correctly and want me to take it to an att store to verify that it's setup correctly.

was wondering if anyone else is seeing usage on att when it should be using wifi.

2. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I am sure I have seen this discussed on here before. From what I can remember what you are seeing is not the time the data is being used but the time that ATT is updating their system to show usage for the day.

3. huskerchad macrumors regular

I didn't even realize you could see this level of detail. I see 3MB of data yesterday at a time when I was at work and definitely on wi-fi. There is also some usage in the middle of the night when the phone would be sitting on a counter charging and again, definitely on wi-fi.

I know AT&T says that sometimes usage does not show up right away--I wonder if these times are at all accurate.

4. Techlover90 macrumors member

How accurate is at&t's site of data usage compared to the one on the iphone?

I'm getting almost 30% more data usage on the iphone than on the at&t site.

5. intelmovies thread starter macrumors newbie

the time and usage are "accurate" according to them and that is what they are going to go by.

6. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Ha, I don't think AT&T cares about your phone. You bill is determnined by AT&T numbers. :D

7. huskerchad macrumors regular

Where on the iPhone? In the AT&T app or in the built-in settings? I too have quite a bit more usage in the iPhone built-in settings--I suppose there are things that don't count as actual data usage but the iPhone can't distinguish that.

8. Techlover90 macrumors member

The built-in settings. I'm quite confused.

9. intelmovies thread starter macrumors newbie

if you got to "settings" and "general" and go to "usage" it will show you all the usage like minutes used and toward the bottom is data usage.

10. Techlover90 macrumors member

yeah, I know that. I'm confused about how the iphone has more data recorded than on the at&t site.

11. intelmovies thread starter macrumors newbie

ahh, you need to reset the statistics. it doesn't reset itself every month.

12. huskerchad macrumors regular

My new cycle happened to start on the same day I activated my iPhone. I have about 170mb usage shown in iPhone settings, but AT&T says more like 140mb.

13. Techlover90 macrumors member

Yeah, but I just got this last week and it started off with 0.00