data usage over att instead of wifi

intelmovies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
have you guys and gals checked your data usage on att website? i'm seeing data usage over att instead of my wifi at times of the day when we are at home. like my phone used 40mb at 11:30 at night when i wasn't even using the phone. yes, it does check email but i don't even get that much email for it to be 4 mb let alone 40 mb.

called att and they said your wifi is not setup correctly and want me to take it to an att store to verify that it's setup correctly.

was wondering if anyone else is seeing usage on att when it should be using wifi.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
have you guys and gals checked your data usage on att website? i'm seeing data usage over att instead of my wifi at times of the day when we are at home. like my phone used 40mb at 11:30 at night when i wasn't even using the phone. yes, it does check email but i don't even get that much email for it to be 4 mb let alone 40 mb.

called att and they said your wifi is not setup correctly and want me to take it to an att store to verify that it's setup correctly.

was wondering if anyone else is seeing usage on att when it should be using wifi.
I am sure I have seen this discussed on here before. From what I can remember what you are seeing is not the time the data is being used but the time that ATT is updating their system to show usage for the day.

huskerchad

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
I didn't even realize you could see this level of detail. I see 3MB of data yesterday at a time when I was at work and definitely on wi-fi. There is also some usage in the middle of the night when the phone would be sitting on a counter charging and again, definitely on wi-fi.

I know AT&T says that sometimes usage does not show up right away--I wonder if these times are at all accurate.

Techlover90

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
How accurate is at&t's site of data usage compared to the one on the iphone?

I'm getting almost 30% more data usage on the iphone than on the at&t site.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Ha, I don't think AT&T cares about your phone. You bill is determnined by AT&T numbers. :D

huskerchad

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
How accurate is at&t's site of data usage compared to the one on the iphone?

I'm getting almost 30% more data usage on the iphone than on the at&t site.
Where on the iPhone? In the AT&T app or in the built-in settings? I too have quite a bit more usage in the iPhone built-in settings--I suppose there are things that don't count as actual data usage but the iPhone can't distinguish that.

Techlover90

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
Where on the iPhone? In the AT&T app or in the built-in settings? I too have quite a bit more usage in the iPhone built-in settings--I suppose there are things that don't count as actual data usage but the iPhone can't distinguish that.
The built-in settings. I'm quite confused.

Techlover90

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
if you got to "settings" and "general" and go to "usage" it will show you all the usage like minutes used and toward the bottom is data usage.

yeah, I know that. I'm confused about how the iphone has more data recorded than on the at&t site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.