Data usage thru the roof!!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bennyaftermath1, Aug 15, 2011.

1. bennyaftermath1 macrumors newbie

ok so last month i went over my 2gb data plan by 7 gbs and i dont know where the problem might be at

the only apps i use are words with friends and hanging with friends

i had the google+ app and i hardly used it

any thoughts or ideas on what my data usage was from

i am posting here because my phone is jailbroken and i think there might be a problem with my jail break....

2. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

That's a pretty hard number to reach without streaming video for a couple of days or at least several hours. No big downloads either? Movies, etc?

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Streaming video or audio like pandora, watching movies on the phone like netflix or youtube would do it too.
    You will never hit 7GB using words with friends or google+.

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

+1 impossible to get 1gb nevermind 7 without streaming or downloading huge files

5. Almeuit macrumors regular

Yeah original poster you have to tell us everything. I know I only hit such high bandwidth usage every month (thank god for unlimited) due to me streaming so much. If I didn't... 2GB would be hard to break.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

I'd call att asap. Allot of times they will give you a one time curtsey break. but your doing something to get that much. sure you just didn't forget to reset it. but your tethering or streaming or something. ;)

7. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

do you take a lot of pictures?

google + has a feature called instant stream and it automatically uploads all photos to google + (at least this is how it is on my infuse 4G)

might want to check

8. bennyaftermath1 thread starter macrumors newbie

yea i take a ton of pictures!!

i take piks of everything!! damn you google!!!

im thinking that is it cause i hardly stream on my phone i have my ipad to do all that over wifi

i already called att and they are of no help they said they cant do anything about it :/ so i have a 70 dll overage fee

thanks for your help guys i appreciate it!

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, that google+ must have done it. And the iphone pics are pretty big in size.
    Im surprised you didnt get text and email alerts telling you that you're reaching your 2GB limit or that you went over it and you will be charged extra.
    That should have let you know to turn off carrier data or change your usage or carrier internet.

10. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Google+ can not do that on the iPhone, apps do not have that level of permissions, even if it did that would be other 3,500 pics or so. The OP has something installed or some type of usage that they aren't telling us about.

11. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Err.... Your iPhone has wifi too, you're not tethering your iPad to your iPhone over wifi to do this streaming are you?

12. bennyaftermath1 thread starter macrumors newbie

yea i do have wifi on my iphone but why watch movies on a 2.5 inch screen or whatever size when i have an ipad2 with better capacity and faster processor....

i dont tether becasue i dont know how lol

and i dont pay for it either my phone has been jailbroken since i got the phone over a yr ago

13. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

You don't know what tethering is but you are jail broken so you don't have to pay for it? /confused

14. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

I Don't use that much and i have unlimited.. but anyways get an iPhone 2g... swap sim cards and switch them back to get unlimited.....

15. bennyaftermath1 thread starter macrumors newbie

yea idk what thethering is

and i know that there is an option to get 4gbs of data through att which includes tethering i think

so i know i dont pay for tethering

----------

hmmm so all i gotta do is take the 2g sim card out of the iphone... insert it in my iphone4 turn it on then off then i have unlimited??

16. labman macrumors 604

labman

Sure because AT&T isn't smart enough to tell the difference between a 2G and a I4! :rolleyes: another cool trick if you take the 2G into Apple and tell them it's a I4 they will swap it for a I4. it's that simple to do.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's not that simple and I think they closed that loophole.

18. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

trust me.... i had an iPhone 2g which i used to get unlimited data... my friend took his sim card from his blackberry..... put it in the iPhone 2g and he called at&t and they told him that he had been grandfathered in.... to unlimited on his blackberry... this was 3 weeks ago, so i know this from experience...

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh good, I heard some people having issues getting it to work lately but it sure is worth a shot.