All iPads Data usage w/Parallels Access (or other VNC apps)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FortWorthMac, May 9, 2014.

1. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

Ok all,

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around something and this may be a stupid question but I apologize in advance.

Say I am watching a video on my iPad with Parallels Access (a VNC type client) from my home Mac. Does that use the same amount of data (roughly) if I were watching the same video on my iPad streaming it over 4G/LTE.

I just can't wrap my head around the ones and zeros of it. Is it the image that is being streamed onto my ipad or is all the data (the ones and zeros) being pushed too?

Does that make sense?

Use a Netflix video for an example.

Thanks

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

It seems like it would use more since it also has to communicate with the computer. However, like you, I can't quite say for sure.

3. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOL. Good, Glad it's not just me. This has been bouncing around in my head for a while now.

4. c1phr macrumors 6502

I believe this really depends on the VNC server being used. Some do some compression of the video signal before they send it over to the device, and some do things like strip out part of the color gamut. Usually you can change these things in the settings of your VNC server.