Data Usage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheConfuzed1, Aug 23, 2010.

?

How much cellular data do you use in an average month?

1. Less than 1 GB

61.8%
  2. 2-3 GB

26.5%
  3. 4-5 GB

3.9%
  4. More than 5 GB

7.8%
  1. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

I had my original 2G iPhone for three years before updating to the iPhone 4.

During that three years, I only used about 4 GB of cellular data, so I thought the whole "no more unlimited data" business was blown out of proportion.

Of course, with my old iPhone, I didn't have 3G, so I didn't stream a lot over the cellular network.

I decided to try streaming music in my car for a few days on my one-hour-each-way commute to work and back.

I used it for about a week, before switching back to my iPod.

I just checked my data usage, and in the three weeks or so that I've had my new iPhone, I have used 4 GB of data already!

That's right, in three weeks, I used the data that I took three years to use on my old iPhone! My data usage multiplied by 52!

That's crazy!

Streaming certainly does make a huge difference.

How much data do you use?

I just thought I would pose the question.

2. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

I'm on T-Mobile EDGE, so like maybe 50MB a month

3. brewno macrumors 6502

I usually use 200-400Mb/month; but then again I never used it besides on my iPhone. Last weekend I went to a friends house and used tethering to download an iTunes movie, so it was the first time it went over 1Gb... But on a regular basis, it will never go over 400mb.

4. doboy macrumors 68000

If you are going to make a poll, be more complete. Where's 1-2GB and 3-4GB? I use 1-2 GB, in case you're interested.

5. TheConfuzed1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

You're right. I thought of that afterword, but then I just figured people would round up or down.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond!

I was curious because I have contemplated dropping my unlimited plan.

I think I'm going to keep it though.

It's just another $5 per month, and these results seem to indicate that higher bandwidth uses may be coming in the near future.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

My average is 13Gb/billing cycle. The most I've ever hit was 16Gb and the lowest was 4Gb. It's not from tethering.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

what the hell are you doing to rack up that much data. You are a prim example of why the teir prices came about.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I do heavy web browsing, streaming media, and because of my small data cap on my DSL line I download a majority of my files over 3G. Oh, and now Netflix, I do love Netflix.

9. 184550 Guest

I hover close in the just under 200mb range. I mainly use my 3GS for checking email and light browsing.

10. dark55 macrumors member

I only used 2GB of data in the two and a half years I had my 1st generation iPhone. I have Wi-Fi at my house though. Now that I have my iPhone 4 with 3G, I use a lot more data. About 500MB a month.

11. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

12. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

1-2gb
    I watch a lot of youtube vids on my phone when I'm bored and cant fall asleep at night

13. mojoe24 macrumors regular

Anywhere from 200mb to 2gb. Usually 1.5GB or so. Maybe more since schools started and I have a 3 hour break and I'll probably end up streaming movies.

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

see to that it seems that you are thethering.

I am assuming you are Jail Broken

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I wasn't jailbroken for the first 8 months of having my 3Gs due to contract issues with my employer. My data usage was still way up there even then. My first billing cycle I used 7.5Gb.

16. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

I stream Pandora at night, so it adds up. I'm at about 4GB right now.

17. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Had the iPhone for about 3 weeks and I've used about 100mb. I'm mostly tied to wifi.

18. astarling06 macrumors regular

astarling06

Just checked and I've used 3.5GB so far this month. I have a JB iPhone 4. I was in Atlanta for a conference for a week and used tethering quite a bit plus we just finally got 3G service in the town I live. Before getting 3G in my area, I was averaging about 700MB a month. I'm curious to see how it will be next month without a lot of tethering but 3G service at home for an entire month.

19. iPhone3GCrazed macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

I never exceeded 600MB with my iPhone 3G. However, with my iPhone 4, it's a completely different story. From mid-July to mid-August I used 1.5GB and from mid-August to mid-September I used slighty more than 4GB.

3 days into this billing cycle, I've already used more than 1GB. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Netflix!