Data usage?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Afbar1114, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

Is anyone else noticing high data usage on ios7? It seems like I am using a ton of data all of a sudden but nothing really has changed except trying out iRadio or whatever it's called.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

2. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

iOS 7 has cellular fallback, which switches from Wi-Fi to cellular if your Wi-Fi connection is weak.

I actually turned off my cellular data because it was happening to me a lot. Now, it's restricting everything to Wi-Fi until I need my cellular data.

3. Pompiliu macrumors 6502a

Pompiliu

Didn't know that.
    This is actually a cool feature, lots of time i'm connected to a wifi, but the signal is too low and have to manually turn wifi off.
    :D

4. tygrubb macrumors regular

Yes. I caught the Music app streaming my music instead of playing the file locally on the phone. Didn't realize this and disable showing cloud content in Music until after it burned through the 3GB soft cap on my grandfathered Unlimited plan and now I'm getting throttled by ATT to speeds that feel slower than Edge. I've NEVER come close to reaching 3GB usage in a billing cycle before, not even remotely.

5. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

It's nice, but it would be nice to have an option to turn it off.

6. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Where do I find this out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

7. tygrubb macrumors regular

Sorry for the late reply. I noticed that Music.app was streaming instead of playing locally because there was a lag in playing in songs that were already on the phone. I had to disable "Show All Music" (or something like that) in the Settings to force it to display and play only local media.

Haven't noticed this issue in the past couple of betas. Hopefully it's fixed for good.

8. Wayoff333, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

Wayoff333 macrumors newbie

Try this
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1637112

To disable throttling

9. xtwentyseven macrumors member

I have my account set up to warn me at intervals. I get an email and a text when I reach 65% of my 2GB data cap. Then again somewhere around 95%. I'm not sure if this option exists for the "unlimited" accounts. I thought LTE users were capped at 5GB? Are you on a pre-5 model?

10. tygrubb macrumors regular

I'm on a 4S, so no LTE for me. Grandfathered unlimited plan with 3GB soft cap. Never crossed it before or since. I got a warning email, then soon afterwards things slowed severely down.

11. MonstaMash macrumors regular

MonstaMash

With iOS 7, you can pinpoint the exact app(s) that are using data.

Settings -> Cellular and scroll down to Use Cellular Data For:.

From there, you should see all your downloaded applications (as well as stock apps) and how much cellular data each app has used.

[​IMG]

12. liteshow macrumors regular

I only have 100 MB cellular data per month (prepaid account). Works great for my 4s on ios6. Most of the time I am in a wifi zone and use cellular data for occasional email/imessage/maps/web surfing while on the road - which averages to about 60 MB per month.

Hope ios7 will not mess up my cellular usage with the cellular fallback. It would be nice if a notification window pops up to alert you that ios is automatically switching from wifi to cellular because of weak wifi signal.

In the Settings -> Cellular, can you also disable Use Cellular Data for ios system functions like Apple store, icloud, etc?

13. naasrd macrumors 6502

naasrd

This is interesting because it could also explain the battery drain some people are experiencing. If high data usage is being noticed then could there be a corresponding equal spike in battery drainage? Are there some apps, iOS 7 battery and data hungry, running in the background?

14. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

If it can help , there's a great app called DataMan in which you can set alarms as you wish .It also works for alternate tethering .

15. MonstaMash macrumors regular

MonstaMash

Yes, you can

16. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Yep. I have all that stuff turned off so that basically only iMessage will go on cellular without me having opened the app etc.

17. liteshow macrumors regular

That's great since you can't in ios6. Yes, I have been using Dataman to see which apps where sucking up data over cellular. Found out that apps like "Store Service" (Apple Store) and "Sync Service" (Icloud Sync) were using up my cellular data even though the I wasn't using them. Believe those must run periodically in the background.

18. Krissypantz2828 macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

Im wondering if thats why I went over my limit and am close to going over my limit this month. I never go over 1 GB, now that I have 2GB of data I thought I was good to go. But I guess not, so you may be right. Its annoying to have to keep turning data off. Thats why they should have a wifi and cellular data switch in the control centre!!!!!

19. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

How did these apps work anyway? Access to data utilization is not available through public APIs.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

There's also some from Onavo that can help monitor and even control/reduce data usage: http://www.onavo.com/

(I think even the latest build of Chrome for iPhone built in some data usage features that can be of some use.)

21. Krissypantz2828 macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

Is there a way to get that VPN off the top of my phone?

22. HeyKatie macrumors 6502

I'm trying to turn off Music, contacts etc but then they turn themselves back on for some strange reason.