Data Usage

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by SayMilesAway, Sep 8, 2014.

1. SayMilesAway macrumors regular

SayMilesAway

I have a 3rd Gen AppleTV in my car hooked up to the nav via a hdmi to composite converter. I have a jailbroken iphone 5S that I use as mobile hotspot. I still have the "unlimited" data plan from AT&T in which they throttle me when going over 5GB. Well I have gone over my data threshold and they have slowed my data speed down to a crawl. This leads me to my question, if I change the display output to 640x480 as opposed to 1080 would I end using less data?

2. jdag macrumors 6502a

Yes, I am judging...data use and network speed are not your problem.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No it would not help. The resolution of the downloaded videos is your issue. If you can download lower resolution video, yes that would help with your bandwidth considerably. But changing the output resolution will have no impact on the resolution of what you download.

4. SayMilesAway thread starter macrumors regular

SayMilesAway

Yeah that's what I thought. I use the built in apps like Netflix and Fox. I think I'm chewing up data because it is making 2 connections to my phone.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You could go to netflix.com and in the settings pick a lower quality and that should save quite a bit of data form Netflix anyway.

[​IMG]

6. SayMilesAway thread starter macrumors regular

SayMilesAway

What does that apply to? Meaning I have multiple people who use my netflix account. So all devices that stream would now get a lower quality?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes it would give lower res. to everything on your account.