Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wackery

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 1, 2015
How much data does the apple watch use? Im only on a 100mb plan and i wonder if I get one that it would force me into a more expensive plan?

I guess a more specific question is if you noticed a spike in data usage after pairing your watch with your iPhone?

kirkhuffy

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Philadelphia
I don't have my watch yet so I can't speak from personal experience. However I would believe it would be the same amount of usage... Instead of texting on your phone you would text on the watch. Obviously at first you'll use it a bit and use more data. But if you're going to have any smart device you really need more than 100mb. I can't believe you got a plan with that little

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
How much data does the apple watch use? Im only on a 100mb plan and i wonder if I get one that it would force me into a more expensive plan?

I guess a more specific question is if you noticed a spike in data usage after pairing your watch with your iPhone?

Wow, that's low even for today's standards. If you do get by with 100mb on your iphone, then I think you'll still get by with 100mb even with your apple watch as it only mirrors notifications from your phone. Also, if you might save up on data if you use the mini app on your apple watch instead of the full sized apps on the iphone which might load high res photos and UI data.

EDIT: Assess your usage, you might get talkative with SIRI with your watch now more than ever.

Wackery

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 1, 2015
Wow, that's low even for today's standards. If you do get by with 100mb on your iphone, then I think you'll still get by with 100mb even with your apple watch as it only mirrors notifications from your phone. Also, if you might save up on data if you use the mini app on your apple watch instead of the full sized apps on the iphone which might load high res photos and UI data.

EDIT: Assess your usage, you might get talkative with SIRI with your watch now more than ever.
Yeah, such is life in canada, i imagine it wont use more, i use my data basically for gps and checking email. Everything else i'd use wifi.

Im still curious if other people have noticed that it uses more with the fitness tracking and such.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Yeah, such is life in canada, i imagine it wont use more, i use my data basically for gps and checking email. Everything else i'd use wifi.

Im still curious if other people have noticed that it uses more with the fitness tracking and such.

You shouldn't see any extra data usage from using the watch really.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.