Data Usage...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nahmeanz, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Nahmeanz macrumors regular

I got my phone on launch day at around 11pm. From then until today at 2:44pm, AT&T says I've used 328.72 MB. Am I on track to exceed my 2GB limit?

2. ReflexReact macrumors 6502

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You might be cutting it close, but if your usage stays the same, you'll be just under the limit.

But you should probably consider using WiFi more, if you can. Not to defend AT&T on this AT ALL, but short of cutting down usage, that's the only practical way to avoid overages right now.

4. broncopde macrumors 6502

To get a rough estimate of how much you will use if you continue to use in the same way, take your usage, divide by how many days you've been on the current month bill cycle, and multiply by 30 (or maybe 31) to get how much you will use in the whole month of the bill cycle.

5. Nahmeanz thread starter macrumors regular

I posted to see if anyone else used more or less during the same time period. I don't stream media or do anything data intensive so I'm wondering why my usage seems high. Could it be me being connected on the AIM app all day?

6. timmillah macrumors newbie

Honestly I use my phone alot for everything from email to browsing to youtube...

And the most I've ever used is 650MB in a month..I mean, I probably am browsing about 6-7 hours of every day..

7. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Odd, my useage is over 200MB. It must be the iPhone 4. I had a go-phone for a week and since I have been doing a lot of driving, I haven't really had a chance to play with it. I have not used Pandora. I have only used Youtube over wifi. I have not downloaded any apps over 3G. I have not used the camera with location. I have not used GPS. Very strange since I NEVER broke 200MB with my 3GS in 6 months time.:confused:

8. davemanroe macrumors member

I had exactly the same thing - iphone 4 reporting nearly 800Mb in 2 days of use. Turned out that for some bizarre reason, when I imported my settings from my old 3G, it brought across the data usage info too, so the figure I had was actually what I had been using on the 3g from it's last reset. I checked this with my carrier whose online usage tracker only showed me using 5Mb over the 2 days.

9. psherman42walla macrumors member

Wish that was the case for me.

Already 7.3GB for June

10. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

you can dial *3282# and at&t will send you message showing how much data you have used up to keep track.

11. broncopde macrumors 6502

That's *DATA# to make it easier to remember.

12. mstrze macrumors 68000

What are you doing on your iPhone to be able to download over 7GB of stuff????

I have had my iPhone for nearly a full year and I am only at 2.8GB total (never reset it). I surf about 2-4 hours a day, listen to Wolfgang's Vault music, watch YouTube videos, use AIM and Yahoo chat....etc. I can't fathom doing anything on my iphone currently that would get me close to the 2GB limit.:eek:

EDIT: Just did the *DATA# 'trick' and I have used 90.3MB this billing cycle....ends July 10.

13. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

the usage data in settings>usage is only via 3G/EDGE. Using wifi does not increase the amount of used data shown.

14. mstrze macrumors 68000

Of course...and doesn't that make it even more amazing that people are smashing the 2GB 'limit'?

Not sure how this even fits into the discussion necessarily. The poster I commented on says he's used over 7GB of data so far this month. And I am assuming this is through non-wifi services or it wouldn't matter now would it?

15. Reser macrumors 6502

I used over 2GB in a day before. Streaming tv takes up 350mb/hour same with movies e.t.c. Tethering my Ipad takes up a lot too.

16. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

It must be jailbroken and tethering, right?

17. psherman42walla macrumors member

7GB through AT&T 3G service, does not include wifi. Yes, teathering iPad and laptop....

18. maokh macrumors 6502

billing data accuracy?

You be the judge... :p

and no, i'm really not doing anything on my iPhone 4 to warrant this. My on phone data counters are not moving. Is this just my account?

Attached Files:

19. maokh macrumors 6502

Hate to say it, but although some of these transfers are technically possible according to the time stamps (at, say, 120kB/sec), i really don't have the great coverage to warrant it. Nearly a gigabyte while i was sleeping...nice.

Attached Files: