Data used not being counted while tethered... ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Arkanok, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Not Sure if this just takes a while to show up, but I tried tethering my phone with 3.0 and it works fine, but when I went into general and usage, it didn't really seem to move the ammount used. I did a reset of my data usage and it's still not moving.

Is this a bug that apple overlooked? It's a little hard to know how much data you have used while tethering if it's not keeping track.

2. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I'm guessing that they assumed that anyone that would tether would have an unlimited data plan. But yes, it would be nice to keep track of it.

3. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

I don't know about that, I'm pretty sure that a good majority of the carriers that have the iPhone don't offer unlimited data plans.

4. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

So it's been a few days now, been messing with the tethering every now and then, and I STILL can't figure this whole keeping track of your tethered data usage.

So again, if anybody reads my first post in this thread you know my problem. I tested it just a little while ago. I reset the data in the usage tab a day ago, so I had 22.3 mb used prior to hooking up to tether. I hooked it up via usb, turned tethering on and played a few youtube videos, did a few speed tests and some general web browsing. After I disconnected the tether, I went back into the usage tab and it still said 22.3 mb used!

This is gonna be a bit of a problem because it's gonna make it hard for us to know how much (as an average at least) data we've used. I have a 6 gb data plan so it's not that big a deal but still, I wanna make sure I don't go way overboard.

So, has anybody noticed the same thing or know how to get it to keep track of the tethering data usage?

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'll throw this explanation out there: THAT DOWNLOADING WHILE TETHERING DOES NOT COUNT IN THE UNLIMITED DATA PLAN. In other words, it's looked at differently by AT&T and thus would count in their $/kB plan. Of course, if they have no way of knowing the difference, then you're okay. IMHO people tethering are taking a risk, but who knows.

6. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Don't assume I'm on AT&T dude, I'm not. I'm in Canada on Fido which DOES allow tethering without any kind of hack or workaround.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Sorry, I did assume that most talking about this issue were the only ones in the world that don't have either tethering or mms....lol. Consider yourself lucky! But, anyway, does Canada allow free tethering?

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

sources?

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

No sources. Like I said, something I was throwing out to explain it.

10. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Currently yes. They allow us to just take off the data pool that we have on our plans already. So for example, I have a 6 gb data plan that whenever I tether, the data comes out of that rather than charging us extra for the ability to tether! It's amazing!

11. milani macrumors 68000

milani

There is no such thing as unlimited data in any sense of the word. It's just a buzzword, I'm afraid. A) it's not possible to have (and thus offer) an unlimited amount of anything, and B) unlimited almost always means x amount of GB per month (in other words a finite amount).

12. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

I disagree

A) Although yes you're correct, when you are dealing with data transfer, unlimited is possible.E.G. you could download the Internet. Once you have finished, you could just do it again, although it is a duplication of a lot of data, you would have the ability to do that via unlimited data transfer. Data storage is another matter
    B) I was under the impression that when they same unlimited, that you are not restricted to the amount of data you transfer, but are in fact subject to a fair usage policy, and during certain times you are only allowed to transfer x GB's of data and should you exceed this you will have your available bandwidth restricted.

Maybe I am wrong, but just thought I would put it out there

13. kobefan234 macrumors 6502

kobefan234