data/wifi question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by billyjoegibsonx, Dec 29, 2008.

1. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

hi i just got my iphone a month ago today.
    thats me into my 2nd month of free unlimited data/wifi.
    i was just wondering once the free 12 months are up.
    how much will it cost, per 1mb, to use data/wifi in the UK, WITHOUT buying the £10/month bolt on from o2?

i cant seem to find it anywhere, i've tried looking through all the boring terms&conditions ;)

thanks very much :)

2. cw2k7 macrumors member

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Got a question for you UK heads: How does (O2 in this case) know you're using Wi-Fi?

4. cw2k7 macrumors member

The £3 per MB if for use over the mobile network only and doesn't include wifi access at cloud etc.

With Cloud and BT Openzone access points they track you via you MAC address. You can't access them without being registered as one of their users or via a data plan that includes their access (ie. the o2 data plan).

If you want to you PayG cloud access it starts at £4.50 per hour, £9.99 for 24 hours or 1 month subscription for £6.99. BT Openzone have various packages, per minute rate is around 17p.

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

So they pretty much manually block the wi-fi on each handset? Well, not block. Restrict?

6. cw2k7 macrumors member

You are free to use your own wifi or other free wifi providers.

7. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

8. cw2k7 macrumors member

The £10 o2 web and wifi bolt on gives you full access to cloud and bt openzone access points without having to pay them their own subscription fees.

If you don't want wifi access through cloud and btopenzone you can use the cheaper £7.50 web bolt on (gives access via only mobile network) but this does have and excessive usage policy of 200MB month. With this bolt on you can then use your own wifi and other free access points (McDonald's, pubs etc).

Without either of these bolt ons you are free to use your own wifi and other free access points. But you have to be careful not to use data services when not connected via wifi as you will be hit with the £3 per MB charge for data over the mobile network.

9. TopDog macrumors newbie

Hi, quick question, if I have bought a genuine iPhone with O2 on a monthly plan.. can I then unlock and use with another SIM (Vodafone) and STILL have the Openzone access if it is by MAC address?