Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbernie41

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Ohio
I am going on a shoot where P2 cards will basically be coming to me non-stop to be dumped on to hard drives. My proposed solution because speed is an issue is to get a new 17 inch, base model MBP, and one of these...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...30992_2_Port_Firewire_800_ExpressCard_34.html

And get (2) FW800 drives that are 7200 RPM. So... can I write to 2 drives simultaneously using firewire800 without much of a speed dropoff?

Arrowk127

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2010
I would recommend shot put pro as well. Very simple and easy to use and will allow you to offload to two drives. It also does file verification if you have the time. One thing that will slow you down is the P2 card reader. Most are USB which is slower than fw800. It's a very slow process when your getting thrown p2 cards left and right.

I know it's not the Mac route but there is another option you might want to look into. A company called one beyond makes a device called the wrangler that auto transfers cards to multiple drives. It will allow you to transfer multiple cards at once. The downside is that it uses a funky drive housing.

Any route you chose, make sure you test it before your shoot.

dbernie41

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Ohio
I would recommend shot put pro as well. Very simple and easy to use and will allow you to offload to two drives. It also does file verification if you have the time. One thing that will slow you down is the P2 card reader. Most are USB which is slower than fw800. It's a very slow process when your getting thrown p2 cards left and right.

We have a dedicated reader that has a fw800 port.

dbernie41

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Ohio
We also are using the panasonic 5 bay card reader with FW800 port yesterday. I had that plugged into my FW800 port and a Lacie express card (2) FW800 port card connected to two 5400rpm Rugged drives. I transferred a 31.55 gig card to both drives in less than 34 minutes total. Where in this system do you think the bottleneck is? Would 7200rpm drives make it even faster? I am on a 2008, 15 inch MBP and I just wiped my system and started fresh about a week ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.