Database browser and query tool

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kamcma, Aug 7, 2014.

1. kamcma macrumors newbie

I just took a class that involved some statistics and sql basics. The class had an online tool, the sql sandbox, for us to run queries of a particular database in a browser.

The class is over and I can no longer use the sql sandbox. But the database is public and I'd like to keep working with it. Is there a Mac app that can do this? I don't really know much about servers or anything, and so far every database app I can find seems overly complicated for my needs, including installing the database on a server etc etc. I would like a Mac app that can either bypass this or just abstract it away; I just want to open the .sql file and run queries, like you would open a spreadsheet app and work with spreadsheet files. Don't even need to edit raw data, though the ability to look at it would be nice.

I understand that what goes on to make a database queriable with any speed is complex, but my Mac Pro is reasonably powerful and anyway I'm not running a web service that needs to be fast, just doing academic queries. I'm fine if it's slow.

Does this exist? Is my understanding of what's necessary to use databases confused?

Thanks for the help.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What database, you need to have specific client tools for the specific database, i.e., oracle client install for an oracle database SQLlite tools for SQLite, etc etc.

3. Zerozal macrumors 6502

4. kamcma thread starter macrumors newbie

It's the Lahman database, a database of MLB statistics. It downloadable from the guy's website every year in .sql format. I just want to open it and run queries.

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

You'll need an SQL server setup, but you can use MySQL workbench to browse it. It's made by Oracle (the guys who made MySQL) so it's good, and free to boot.