Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Idaho Redneck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2009
Long story short... I would like to go through my garage and catalogue every item. I know this sounds crazy, but it's complicated to fully explain. Anyways, I would like to take a picture of every item, record an audio clip talking about each one, and have several text fields answering form questions about each one.

Basically, I would like something like a database program to keep track of everything and make it word-searchable. Any ideas? I've tried OpenOffice database, but I couldn't find a way to add audio. I've also tried using a spreadsheet, but the pictures don't fit very well and are basically pointless if I wanted to browse through them.

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
Circus Ponies Notebook, Yojimbo or DEVONThink are all possibilities, depending on how you want to organize things. Personally, I use the former and love it. If you are looking for a pure database, Bento may be the less expensive way top go as the last poster suggests.

You should be able to download trials of all. Give them each a spin and see what works best for you and your workflow.

Mugwumper

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Temecula, CA
More options

Long story short... I would like to go through my garage and catalogue every item. I know this sounds crazy, but it's complicated to fully explain. Anyways, I would like to take a picture of every item, record an audio clip talking about each one, and have several text fields answering form questions about each one.

Basically, I would like something like a database program to keep track of everything and make it word-searchable. Any ideas? I've tried OpenOffice database, but I couldn't find a way to add audio. I've also tried using a spreadsheet, but the pictures don't fit very well and are basically pointless if I wanted to browse through them.

There is also "Know Your Stuff" from Insurance Information Institute - looks
like a free web-based solution that can export info back to your computer (I
had an earlier version that was a Mac app.).

And there is "Home Inventory" from Binary Solutions - $22 for the app.

You are now inspiring me to finish a similar project I started, but I will
probably use Bento. ;^)

Hope this helps . . .

mongrol

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2007

What's in your garage? Tell us! The world must know!

Idaho Redneck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2009
Thanks for all the suggestions. You all opened me up to a whole new genre of software that I didn't know existed. I think I'll use Bento for this project, but I may have to put Delicious on my Christmas list for cataloging my CDs/DVDs. This is fun stuff!

Idaho Redneck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2009
What's in your garage? Tell us! The world must know!

We'll find out once I start tackling it... now that I'm equipped to do so. But I would say about 1/3 family relics, 1/3 cool useful old stuff, and 1/3 junk. I'll be using the program mostly for recording the history of each of the family relics. Any thoughts on doing it differently?

mongrol

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2007
I'll be using the program mostly for recording the history of each of the family relics. Any thoughts on doing it differently?

Put them in an old folks home. Or if you like them around perhaps build a granny flat. At the very least put a Window in the garage wall to keep Social Services from your door.

Idaho Redneck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2009
Put them in an old folks home. Or if you like them around perhaps build a granny flat.

What made you think I was referring to my grandparents' stuff? You're right, but for simplicity, I never brought them into the situation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.