database programming

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by McBgnr, Jun 10, 2010.

1. McBgnr macrumors regular

Guys,

I want to write an application to fetch data from a SQL server in my iPhone/iPad application.

I have not done any kind of db programming on iPhone or iPad or Mac.
    Please suggest some ways of acheiving this? Links or examples would be very helpful.

Cheers,
    McBgnr

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

If the data resides in a remote database, you'll want to look into web services.

3. xStep macrumors 68000

If people knew what type of database and version you were trying to access, they might be able to give some options.

4. McBgnr thread starter macrumors regular

Was reading about webservices. Now I am slightly confused on as to whether to use XML-SOAP webservice or a JSON websrvice.

The data that I want to use is employee records so it will contain somthing like employee name, employee id, employee join date, employee department, employee image(URL) etc.

Which webservice format would be better here? Inputs welcome!

5. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

I believe xStep meant what type, ie MYSQL, MSSQL, Oracle etc.

XML-SOAP and JSON are simply ways of retrieving that data

6. smilinmonki666 macrumors regular

This is something I am looking to do. I will be using MySQL for a local OS X Webserver, but using the iPhone/ iPad to fetch & update the database. Was thinking of just making a Web Application but I would like the stability of an actual application.

Cheers guys, I am only just starting to start to develop on Xcode & just waiting on some reference books.