Database to replace filemakerpro

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by calliex, Jan 16, 2019.

1. calliex macrumors member

calliex

I am looking for a mac database to replace filemakerpro. I have filemakerpro 12 and it does not run on high sierra or mojave. I can't justify the monthly fee for it. I am running Sierra just so I can keep using it until I can find something to replace it I do not need the power of filmmaker just need something better than Excel.

Joe

2. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

Can you describe how/why you use it? Understanding that would be helpful in making a suggestion.

3. calliex thread starter macrumors member

calliex

I just use it as a simple database. Currently I suck in a excel spreadsheet. The biggest use is to make simple input screens based off the fields in Excel.
    Looking for missing data. Having a screen where I can see all the fields makes it easier than looking at large table in excel. I guess I should bone up on excel and get it too look like a database screen.
    I need to do simple searches (looking for blank fields or for a particular record.
    I will not be programming anything or creating any reports.

I am not sure what I am looking for exists.

Joe

4. jaduff46 macrumors 6502

jaduff46

Thread on this “Alternatives to Filemaker” started on 10/5/18 had quite a few suggestions. Do a search to find it. Obviously depends on your needs.

5. calliex thread starter macrumors member

calliex

Thanks, I searched Mac os Databases and found some but they more like filmmaker. I will go over the list

Joe

6. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I use an app called iDatabase. It was pretty cheap and does exactly what I would expect from a simple database app. I use it to keep track of invoices.

7. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

That's what I was going to suggest. I can't claim to have used it myself, but I've heard good things. Alternatively, OpenOffice has a database. Again, I've not used it myself and I believe it needs a Java runtime which gives me the shivers.

I'm more of a SQL person myself, but I guess that's deeper down the rabbit hole than you're wanting to go.

8. calliex thread starter macrumors member

calliex

I am going to look into iDatabase. Thanx for all the good info.