Database with pictures

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jjk454ss, Aug 24, 2013.

1. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I am looking for an easy, inexpensive, app for creating a simple database. I need to create a list of customers names, address, phone, etc along with a picture.

I am not sure if some sort of address book is best, or a basic database program. But I'd like to be able to customize the fields and add more than one picture if necessary. Also, iCloud or Dropbox integration and an iPad app would be a huge bonus.

Any good suggestions?

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

If it's for use by only yourself, have you considered using OS X's Address Book?

3. FoxFifth, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013

FoxFifth macrumors 6502

Another option to consider is to use a spreadsheet (e.g., Numbers) -- it does allow pictures. The Bento database from Filemaker is also an option but it is only available until Sept 30, 2013 and will only be supported until July 2014. Filemaker is another option but is considerably more expensive.

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

A free (donationware) alternative that might work is the database module of the LibreOffice suite.

5. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Thanks for the ideas. I have been using Contacts, I just kind of wanted a way to keep these separate besides just a new "Group" in the same Contacts app as all my personal contacts. Plus I need to be able to pull up a decent quality picture from it and the Contacts app seems to not allow this. Also, I didn't see a way to add 2 or more pictures.

Numbers might be the way to go, I already have it, plus it uses iCloud Sync which is great. I'm just not really good with Numbers, I'll have to play around and see if I can get a decent spreadsheet created to use as my template.

I looked at Filemaker ands it's so expensive, didn't look at Bento, so I'll take a look at that too.

Thanks again:cool:.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have bento, and its nice, but given that FileMaker is ceasing support and sales of this app, I'd avoid it.

I found it to be a nice Database, for simple needs and may be a good fit but since it won't be updated in the near future you may paint yourself in the corner with it

7. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I was thinking since I just need real basic use, I didn't care if they stopped supporting it, but I guess I would hate to get it setup then it doesn't work on OSX Mavericks or something and I can't do anything with it.

Good idea, I'll be trying Numbers I think. Thanks

8. Fishrrman macrumors G3

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Spreadsheets--be their formats Numbers, Excel, or something else--are poor choices for database applications.

Although Bento will be orphaned after July 2014, it will not suddenly stop working then. To the contrary, it will be a veteran application with virtually any remaining bugs long dead. It will continue to work for years to come.

Is Filemaker Pro expensive? Compared to what? The OP does not give his profession. If he is associated with education as faculty, student, or staff, then he take advantage of Filemaker's education prices.

If price really is an issue, then there is another alternative that has gone unmentioned--OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice/NeoOffice. This application contains a database module. It is free as in beer.

10. Bear, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013

Bear macrumors G3

I'm not sure what you call inexpensive, but at this point FileMaker does cover your request for both OS X and iOS. The OS X app is $299 and the iOS app is free, but requires having FileMaker Pro on your computer. You will want to read up on FileMaker, especially the iOS app to determine if it is what you need.

It'lll work for years if you don't have to upgrade your OS. If you have to upgrade your OS, you never know what old and unmaintained applications will break with an OS upgrade.

I wouldn't recommend Bento at this point because you never know when it might break.

11. SolutionsEtc macrumors newbie

Bento has been in need of at least a bug fix update for many months. Pretty clear they have been considering abandoning it for some time. It seems to run alright on mavericks, but I have not pounded on it very hard and the timing of their announcement seems suspect.

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You know this how? Let me give a counter example. In 1993, Claris introduced Filemaker Pro 2.1. The extant Macintosh operating system was System 7.1. Filemaker Pro 2.1 continued to operate just fine on all subsequent Mac hardware until the advent of Intel-based Macs until 2006 and all subsequent versions of the Macintosh OS until MacOS X 10.5 in 2007.

13. Bear macrumors G3

What I said is you never know when it might break. Some applications will break with OS updates and upgrades, some won't. And for some applications if you don't use certain features, you might never run in to issues.

It's fine to give an example of an application that lasted many OS upgrades, but I can give many more examples of applications that broke with upgrades.

All I was doing was reminding the OP that the chance Bento may break with an OS update or upgrade is something they could run in to.

14. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The fact is that technical changes to the OS may break a application whether or not the application is supported. The flip side is also true. Who has not suffered problems when an application's developer significantly changed a mission-critical application's file format? Quite frankly, I have lost much more work to file format changes in actively-supported applications than to abandoned applications rendered incompatible by an OS change.