Databasing Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by William7, Jun 27, 2012.

1. William7 macrumors member

im wondering where everyone stands in the evernote vs comparable softwares debates. i need to start using a software like evernote however i am not a big fan of evernote and was wondering if anybody knew of a better system or if i should just use evernote. Thanks. William.

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I am a big fan of DevonThink. Search for it and you will find several threads here on MR.

/Jim

3. EmpyreanUK, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012

EmpyreanUK macrumors regular

Evernote is not databasing software.

You haven't really explained what your needs are, so it's hard for us to recommend an alternative to Evernote as we don't know which of its features you need to be replicated elsewhere.

flynz4, I've been playing around with DevonThink for the past day, but I cannot work out how to create custom meta-data fields. Do you know if this is even possible to do?

4. jojoba macrumors 68000

I'm also a fan of DevonThink - I also use Evernote daily, I prefer DT for organising large amounts of different data.

5. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Since the OP is vague (sigh) perhaps we can assume they were asking re freeform database-type applications and/or notetakers.

Aside from DevonThink (which is awesome), there are tons of other good ones:

SOHO Notes
    iClip
    Snippet
    Voila
    CuteClips
    Caboodle

All have different approaches and emphases, so check them out.

Rob